Kiku Apples?

thecityman, Zone 7a/6b near NashvilleFebruary 20, 2014

Our local Wal-Mart has a whole display, complete with signs declaring "Finally here" and "Exciting new fruit" and "The sweetest apple you will ever taste". That last claim is also printed on the special bags the apples are in. Those bags also tell how an Italian Apple farmer, while touring a Japanese orchard, discovered one oddball tree in middle of the orchard and took cuttings back to Italy for development. Now, I'm not gullible enough to believe this marketing ploy, but it did leave me a little curious. I'm sure its not the "sweetest apple you will ever taste" and I'm dubious of the origin printed on the bags, but I'd like to know a little more about the KIKU apple. Know anything about it?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Tony(Zone 5. Omaha, Nebraska)

Yes. the Italian patented this variety as Kiku, which was a sport of a Fuji apple. I bought a bag a few years ago and it was real sweet and crunchy. I planted a seed for fun but apple never grow true from a seed.

Tony

Bookmark   February 21, 2014 at 12:20AM
thecityman, Zone 7a/6b near Nashville

hmmm...maybe there is something to this after all? Does anyone sell kiku trees?

Bookmark   February 21, 2014 at 12:07PM
murkwell

I've had Kiku several times. They weren't the best Fuji's I've had. Its possible that they are on average better than other sports of Fuji, but variation within a given sport seems bigger than the difference between this sport and others.

I think Kiku is a club contract apple so I don't think the trees are sold retail.

Bookmark   February 21, 2014 at 8:00PM
marknmt

We just started displaying them in the supermarket in which I work- they went in this morning. Never seen 'em before and haven't cut one open yet. They're three bucks a pound.

"Sweet" isn't the first thing I look for in an apple, so I don't care too much. We also have Ambrosia and Opal new this year- don't know what to make of all the new varieties.

Bookmark   February 22, 2014 at 9:13PM
More Discussions
Broken citrus tree
Hello all. Last May, I planted satsuma and kumquat...
lsugolfredman
Too new to know...is this root acceptable?
I'm new to Orcharding and to GardenWeb (what an incredible...
GuardinDawg
Trimming overgrown avocado tree then graft?
Dear gardenweb community, I am hoping to hear some...
funlul
Damage to Honeycrisp tree (photo)
I planted this Honeycrisp apple tree a week ago and...
Edwin Turlington
Do i need to use wax for this kind of graft or just masking tape?
I am going to be doing 5 pear cleft grafts with 1/4...
tlbean2004
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™