Licorice Tea... how much is too much

storygardener(5/6 central oh)March 9, 2006

Hi Folks...A friend gave me some teas and included was a delicious licorice tea (licorice root, cinnamon bark, orange peel, ginger root, cardamom seed, black pepper, clove bud). I'd love to enjoy cup of this tea on a daily basis. Another friend said that it raises blood pressure, effects blood sugar, depletes the body of potassium. Eek gads!

So, my question remains - Is a cup of this tea eveyday too much. Should I only have it on special occaisions? How many cups would be harmful?

I am glad I have a place to ask this question.

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Heathen1(10a)

once a day is probably not a problem... I wouldn't take it for months in and months out though... sounds quite stimulating though!

Bookmark   March 9, 2006 at 10:56AM
rusty_blackhaw(6a)

I'd be more inclined to advise against daily consumption.

Natural licorice is known to cause hypertension and low potassium if enough is taken, and potentially can cause other problems as well. It has also caused trouble when taken in a Chinese herbal mixture.

I found a source of real licorice candy locally (most of what's sold is artificially flavored with anise) and enjoy it on occasion, but I wouldn't eat it every day.

Caution is especially advisable in people with heart or blood pressure problems who are taking medication for them (i.e. digitalis).

Bookmark   March 9, 2006 at 1:41PM
Daisyduckworth(Aust)

I'm with Eric. Daily is far too often. Liquorice is notorious for raising the blood pressure and causing other problems. Not a herb to be taken lightly.

Liquorice should not be used by those suffering from high blood pressure, fluid retention, headache, vertigo, cirrhosis of the liver, diabetes, glaucoma, heart disease or a history of stroke, kidney disease, heart disease, or by those who are obese. Best avoided when pregnant or lactating. May cause water retention and loss of potassium. Do not use for more than 4 weeks consecutively. Professional supervision is recommended.

Make it just an occasional treat, not a regular thing at all.

Bookmark   March 9, 2006 at 4:37PM
storygardener(5/6 central oh)

Thank you all for your input. Sounds like it should just be a very occasional cup of tea. I appreciate it.

Bookmark   March 9, 2006 at 4:42PM
cacye(Denver,CO)

If you are female the best time to take licorice is during the estrogenic phase of your cycle, i.e., the first two weeks after your period. This will minimize bloat. Licorice is used with many herbs to strenghten their effects. Take it with your Echinacea when you have an illness.

Bookmark   March 18, 2006 at 5:09PM
More Discussions
bladder infection
My daugter has a bladder infection. I am giving her...
kfgesq
sassafrass poisonus??
A friend of mine has a woods by her house and there...
redring
poultice for infection
My boyfriend broke his leg 1 1/2 years ago. He had...
June_Ca
Vermifuges
With global warming, many will be encountering parasites...
eibren
Headache after B12
I tried taking Vit B12 at the recommendation of my...
ghoghunter
Sponsored Products
Westinghouse 4-1/2 in. x 5-1/8 in. Licorice Marbleized Bell 8111900
$8.59 | Home Depot
Ava Queen Bed
$1,759.00 | Horchow
Nourison Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Nourison Rugs Color Motion Licorice 5 ft. x 7
Home Depot
Nourison Waverly Artisanal Delight Licorice Rug (8' x 10')
Overstock.com
Stein World Palmer Chest
Beyond Stores
KitchenAid KP26M1XLC Licorice 6-quart Pro 600 Bowl-Lift Stand Mixer ** with $50
Overstock.com
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™