Ginger

silversword(9A)March 18, 2009

I love ginger. Ginger tea with a little honey for a sore throat or upset stomach, ginger on my fish, ginger in a salad dressing...

What I didn't know was how beneficial it can be to the intestinal tract, it has antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties and may help prevent cancer.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gringojay

Hi silversword,
Aquarium fish do not swim sleekly weighted down with ginger gunk.
There was a study about it; yep, done by some smart aleck kids - apparently secretly funded by a parent.

Bookmark   March 18, 2009 at 12:49PM
apollog

I use it for neurovascular headache (migraine and cluster), though for me it is secondary to kudzu and melatonin.

In the ayurvedic tradition, ginger is considered sattvic - it is balanced, and balances the body. Other herbs may be dulling or over-exciting, but ginger is harmonizing.

>> Aquarium fish do not swim sleekly weighted down with ginger gunk.

I don't understand. Why would aquarium fish be weighted down with such gunk? Are we using the message board to pass coded messages? ;)

Bookmark   March 18, 2009 at 2:29PM
silversword(9A)

I think Gringo was making a jokey reference to me saying I like ginger on my fish.

Bookmark   March 18, 2009 at 2:40PM
apollog

Got it - too distracted, read each post independently.

Bookmark   March 18, 2009 at 3:06PM
gringojay

Moxa (aged mugwort) cones are sometimes burned on top of a ginger slice during traditional Chinese medicine's moxabustion "tonification" treatment; not joking (but was earlier).
Ginger is used by some people for allaying nausea. ( There was a genuine study about this years ago; conclusion was "yes/sort of/sometimes".)
There are proponents of drinking ginger tea & even ginger ale (the origin of which was?) for nausea.

Bookmark   March 18, 2009 at 4:26PM
silversword(9A)

I've had moxa treatment before with acupuncture but never on top of ginger... that's interesting!

Ginger ale worked well for me with pregnancy nausea.

Bookmark   March 18, 2009 at 4:51PM
herbalbetty

I also love ginger. Silversword, for my sore throat tea, I add sage to my ginger/lemon/honey mix. It works wonderfully well. And how DO you get your fish to hold still long enough to attach the ginger to them?

Bookmark   March 19, 2009 at 8:18AM
silversword(9A)

"And how DO you get your fish to hold still long enough to attach the ginger to them?"

I use my secret honey/soy sauce mixture ;)

Bookmark   March 19, 2009 at 10:09AM
herbalbetty

Brilliant!

Bookmark   March 20, 2009 at 6:49AM
simplemary

I make an oil maceration of ginger for massaging sore muscles & use it to warm my kidneys when I have a cold-- both tea & poultice. It will break up a cold in this manner almost overnight & will create an immediate body warmth to aid sleep & sweating. When my children had long bus rides for school trips, I always sent them with crystallized ginger for motion sickness.

Bookmark   March 23, 2009 at 8:52PM
More Discussions
Paw Paw
Research information suggests paw paw will prevent...
herbalpower
Looking for a Neurodermatitis recipie.
I'm looking for a recipe for Neurodermatitis condition...
SolusUmbra
Morgellon's syndrome
I have Morgellon's disease. I have seen the organisms...
cacye
Help... need your advice...
Hi, I know that there are a lot of knowledgable herbalists...
beth1
Permanent dark eye circles?
Hi everyone, My boyfriend has what seems to be permanent...
Hapslappy
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™