ACV for eyes?

xminionMarch 22, 2005

Greetings,

In reading about Apple Cider Vinegar, there is some claims that, if used as an eyewash, one can improve cloudiness due

to cataracts.

Has anyone had experience with ACV eyewashes?

Thanks

Xminion

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Judy_B_ON(Ontario 5B)

Cataracts are inside the eye so an external wash will have no effect.

You should never wash the eyes with anything not intended for them as you will likely introduce micro organisms that cause infection.

And finally, the eye is lined with a sensitive mucous membrane. Using a acid like vinegar will be painful.

Bookmark   March 22, 2005 at 1:53PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
murphyl(Metro Detroit)

Bad, bad, BAD idea.

Firstly, common cataracts (also called nuclear sclerosis or NS) are thought to be caused by two factors: swelling and opacity of the lens fibers due to the aging process, and environmental factors (exposure to UV light, tobacco smoke, etc). (I've left out congenital cataracts, which are a different story.)

Although some systemic medications can certainly accelerate cataract formation if absorbed into the eye (long-term, high-dose steroids will do this), at present there is no evidence whatsoever for a topically applied substance that can retard cataract formation. Even the systemic vitamin/antioxidant formulas such as Ocuvite merely slow the progression; they don't reverse any existing damage.

Second, ACV almost certainly won't help a cataract, but it certainly will give you a nasty corneal burn. Any cataract-reducing benefit you might obtain will be more than cancelled out by the antibiotics, anti-inflammatories, surgical debridement and/or corneal transplant you'll need to treat the burns caused by the acidic ACV wash.

Please, for the sake of your eyes, don't try this one at home or anywhere else.

(Note: I am not a physician - my comments here are merely those of an informed layperson with some background in ophthalmology. By all means talk with your doctor before doing anything to your eyes.)

Bookmark   April 10, 2005 at 2:11AM
More Discussions
thyroid problems
I'd like to know if some of you with thyroid problems...
Peter.1210
Herbal Remedies for High Blood Pressure
What Herb is grown for the treatment of high blood...
barb601
Poison Control Center substance categories in calls 2011 plants incl.
Thought I'd post this, list of plants with identity...
gnomeinplaid
geographic tongue
For everbody who suffers from geographic tongue, i...
rebeccaguimaraes
Help... need your advice...
Hi, I know that there are a lot of knowledgable herbalists...
beth1
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™