85 year old black cohosh root still 'medicinal'!

bushpoet(z6 Bronx NY)March 18, 2005

Hello everyone. When I harvest & store herbs, I'm always wondering about their long-term potency - usually I end up relying on good judgment + intuition.

Well check out this article!

~bushpoet

Here is a link that might be useful:

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Heathen1(10a)

yes? gotta provide the link or we think you are pulling our leg! :oD

Bookmark   March 18, 2005 at 12:29PM
bushpoet(z6 Bronx NY)

Sorry! GW must be acting up - the link was posted properly when I previewed it.

Here is a link that might be useful: 85-Year-old Black Cohosh Root Still Contains Active Compounds

Bookmark   March 18, 2005 at 1:11PM
rusty_blackhaw(6a)

Wonder what would happen if the Botanical Garden researchers tested their 85-year-old preparation against all the black cohosh products currently on the market.

Based on the wide variations previously found in the level of effective ingredients in certain herbal supplements, it wouldn't be surprising if the old black cohosh was more pharmacologically active than some current product.

Bookmark   March 18, 2005 at 3:16PM
franc(z5IND)

It would probably depend on the dose.Fresh dug Black Cohosh root now shouldn't be that much different than it was 85 years ago.

Bookmark   March 18, 2005 at 10:35PM
mayura97(KL, Malaysia)

I think it is maybe because the chemical compound in the root of black Cohosh is very stable (either chemically or kinetically) or else it will be gone in just few years or months. That means Black Cohosh will be chemically stable for a long time if it is rightly preserve. Hypothetically, as with science nothing is certain la.... Anyway, anyone knows what Black Cohosh called in Malay or Chinese?? :)

Bookmark   March 21, 2005 at 9:53AM
franc(z5IND)

http://altnature.com/gallery/Black_Cohosh.htm

Heres a picture of what it looks like.Its a North American native so Im not sure what it would be called in Chinese.

Bookmark   March 21, 2005 at 10:24PM
rusty_blackhaw(6a)

News flash: Old threads still provide platform for spammers!

To update the picture on black cohosh: this herb gained acceptance in recent years as an alternative medication to treat menopausal symptoms (picking up an endorsement from a major gynecology organization). Then a large clinical trial found that the herb did not provide benefits greater than placebo. Recent studies remain mixed, with this new report (involving a relatively small trial) showing that black cohosh didn't even do as well as placebo in relieving hot flashes and night sweats. On the plus side: testing for measures of brain function found no negative effects of black cohosh (by some measures of mental acuity, supplemental hormones can have detrimental effects). And while there are few reports of liver toxicity with black cohosh, it overall appears to a have a good safety profile.

Bookmark   August 5, 2009 at 9:27AM
kaliaman

black cohosh is 'sheng ma' per chinese herbalism.

Bookmark   September 13, 2012 at 12:11PM
More Discussions
Herbal Remedies for High Blood Pressure
What Herb is grown for the treatment of high blood...
barb601
Paw Paw
Research information suggests paw paw will prevent...
herbalpower
geographic tongue
For everbody who suffers from geographic tongue, i...
rebeccaguimaraes
Headache after B12
I tried taking Vit B12 at the recommendation of my...
ghoghunter
poultice for infection
My boyfriend broke his leg 1 1/2 years ago. He had...
June_Ca
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™