herbal question

christina7March 15, 2007

hi,

im just starting out on a herbal medicine course and already im confused. can someone explain to me what the abbreviations after the latin names mean, for example Anathemis nobilis (L) what does the (L) stand for. also is there any reason why plants should not be put into a sick room overnight.

many thanks in advance

happy days

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rusty_blackhaw(6a)

The "L" stands for Linnaeus, the botanist who first named the plant. It's good to specify the Latin name (Anthemis nobilis) to make sure you're referring to this specific plant, as there are something like a half-dozen different plants commonly referred to as chamomile. Using the "L" is not necessary.

Some people are allergic to A. nobilis and related plants, which would be a reason for susceptible people to avoid them.

Bookmark   March 15, 2007 at 12:14PM
christina7

thank you eric_oh thats helped me loads.
another question for you if you're up for it is, in lichen, what benefits would a fungus deive from its algal partner, what does this mean. i feel such a dummy but this is a completely new subject for me. thanks again

Bookmark   March 15, 2007 at 2:43PM
Heathen1(10a)

Yes... with some plants having several common names, I think they should always go by their latin names... no mistakes there, and it helps with confusion if the plant has a 'officinalis" in it's name. I don't know which medicinal path you are taking, the only thing I can think of to answer your second question is maybe lichen has half a chemical that will mate with another to form another chemical? Like hydrogen getting together with oxygen makes water? I don't have a specific on the fungi/algae partnership.

Bookmark   March 15, 2007 at 4:29PM
Judy_B_ON(Ontario 5B)

Is the lichen question part of your homework? If so, you really should be reading your material and finding the answers. Not being mean, but you will remember the things you search out yourself and will not remember the answers you are given.

Anyway, a lichen is essentially a fungus that contains algae in its tissues. Fungus can't photosynthesize, algae can, so the fungal cells get food from the algae and the algae cells get water and minerals from the fungus.

Here is a link that might be useful: Lichen

Bookmark   March 15, 2007 at 11:22PM
Heathen1(10a)

oh wow... learn something new everyday! I am glad you said that Judy... now I know. :D

Bookmark   March 16, 2007 at 1:50AM
More Discussions
Morgellon's syndrome
I have Morgellon's disease. I have seen the organisms...
cacye
What herbs are you propagating now?
I love this time of year. The majority of the planting...
jll0306
geographic tongue
For everbody who suffers from geographic tongue, i...
rebeccaguimaraes
poultice for infection
My boyfriend broke his leg 1 1/2 years ago. He had...
June_Ca
Growing Turmeric/Specific questions...
Hello.. I'm pleased to say that I found some fresh...
skyclad
Sponsored Products
Personalized Rectangular Cutting Board with Name or Phrase
$140.00 | FRONTGATE
Antiquities Light Gold and Multi-Colored Rectangle: 5 Ft. In. x 8 Ft. In. Area R
$231.95 | Bellacor
Antiquity Grey and Multi-Colored Rectangle: 4 Ft. In. x 6 Ft. In. Area Rug
$138.95 | Bellacor
AICO Furniture - Villa Valencia China Cabinet - 72005-06-55
Great Furniture Deal
Safavieh Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Safavieh Rugs Antiquity Wine/Gold 8 ft. x 8
Home Depot
Royal-Pedic Cloud Pillow Top Mattress - 800IT CLOUD PILLOWTOP - MATTRESS ONLY
Hayneedle
AICO Furniture - Windsor Court Armoire in Vintage Fruitwood - 70080-54
Great Furniture Deal
Arrow Shirley Sewing Desk - 6601