Home made health??

issol(7)March 15, 2007

Hey guys. I'm just wondering what common and not so common herbs can be grown for home remidies. I'm looking for remidies for congestion and mucus, anxiety/depression, head aches, but would love favorite recipies from you guys as well. I am very interested in tried and true, of course. Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Heathen1(10a)

Well, my all time fave for decongestion is Mullein... it'll grow anywhere..specially if you never water it. A little difficult to dry in humid areas, but well worth it. I make a tea out of it and mix it with Nettle for my allergies. I don't have anxiety or depression, and the headaches are only sinus, so I don't grow anything for them, but I've heard good things about St. John's wort... and I know that lemon balm, which makes me sleep like a baby is a mild anti-depressant too.

Bookmark   March 15, 2007 at 4:25PM
Daisyduckworth(Aust)

If you Google for something like 'herbal remedies headache' you'll get a zillion sites which mention herbs to treat the ailment, and recipes for remedies. The link below is just one of them.

If you're not allergic to aspirin, a good headache herb is meadowsweet. You could also think about feverfew, rosemary, thyme and many others.

Be very, very wary about growing or using St. John's Wort. It may be a declared noxious weed where you live, and it's a herb which should be used with extreme caution, and never with other herbs or medications. It interferes with just about everything and it has a range of its own side-effects. Google about that, too!

Sage is an excellent decongestant herb. So is mint, and rosemary. There are many others, too.

Here is a link that might be useful: ailments/herbal remedies

Bookmark   March 16, 2007 at 6:04PM
thorndncr

What about peppermint? Peppermint contains menthol, which (correct me if I'm wrong) other mints don't, though they work as flavoring. The menthol calms the stomach by reducing muscle spasms and might help with menstrual cramps. It may not be an anxiety treatment, per se, but is very soothing in teas and cool drinks, and is great before bed. There are dozens of "recipes" you can even make ahead and refrigerate to keep on hand.

Once you start a little, it pops up everywhere -- unlimited supply! Unless you want it to grow wild, try keeping it in a pot or sinking a large pot into the ground, to contain the roots.

Bookmark   March 18, 2007 at 1:01PM
More Discussions
Morgellon's syndrome
I have Morgellon's disease. I have seen the organisms...
cacye
geographic tongue
For everbody who suffers from geographic tongue, i...
rebeccaguimaraes
Help... need your advice...
Hi, I know that there are a lot of knowledgable herbalists...
beth1
Toasted my rose petals, that OK?
Hi all, I'm trying to infuse rose petals into coconut...
emilylyons22
Herbal Remedies for diabetics
What Herb is grown for the treatment of diabetes? Thanks...
JCTsai
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™