Sulfur lime oil spray on pear and apricot trees

northwoodswis(4)March 15, 2010

I have been doing a lot of research on dormant oil sprays. Several sources say to never use sulfur on apricot trees, as it can harm them. Other sources say to use it on them. Some sources say to spray dormant pear trees with oil lime sulfur spray when dormant. The Bonide brand gives the proportions of the spray to mix for pear trees. Another source says never to use lime sulfur spray on pear trees, as it is toxic to them. From what I understand, if used as separate sprays, you have to wait several weeks after using lime sulfur before using oil, but you can also mix them or use a premade mix (although the Bonide oil lime sulfur spray doesn't seem to be available any more.) So what are your experiences with this? Anyone ever have it harm their trees? Also would it be redundant to use both copper spray (on apples, pears, cherries, plums, apricots) and then two weeks later, oil lime sulfur spray? Finally, does one need to tarp over daylilies to avoid contact with sprays if they are near the trees, but are covered with mulch and have no growth showing yet? Thanks for your input. Northwoodswis

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kokopelli5a

Professional growers who have posted on this forum say never use sulfur on Apricots. So I quit. I think they do do a little better without. But it didn't make them keel over or anything like that.

Bookmark   March 15, 2010 at 2:21PM
backyardener(z6 Idaho)

I don't grow apricots, so I am not going to comment on whether or not to use sulfur on them. I think what may be causing your confusion is that sulfur (or lime sulfur) plus oil can damage the LEAVES of the plant. If your pears (or other fruit trees) are dormant, then you should be fine to use the oil plus lime sulfur (mix it yourself or buy premix, it should not matter either way). I use it on all my fruit trees and grapes with good results. I think your lilies should be fine if they are covered by mulch and have no growth yet. I don't use copper, so I'll defer comment to someone else who uses it.

Bookmark   March 16, 2010 at 12:37PM
calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9

The sulfur component of the dormant spray, lime/sulfur is toxic to apricot trees and should not be used on them. Al

Bookmark   March 17, 2010 at 9:25AM
boizeau(7a)

Fine on the pears, but not on the apricots. Lime Sulfer is very corrosive to brass nozzles though.

Bookmark   March 17, 2010 at 2:41PM
More Discussions
Where to buy Titan, Vernon, and Ochlockonee Blueberry plants?
I live in East Texas between DFW and Texarkana off...
sidpost
Growing Anything Under A Black Walnut Tree
Hi Gang.....maybe someone here has a solution or idea,...
Greenhorn2
conflicting pawpaw spacing info
Last week I planted several dozen paw paw. I had read...
Edwin Turlington
stark bros apricot with pits that taste like almonds
Does anyone have experience with this apricot variety? http://www.starkbros.com/products/fruit-trees/apricot-trees/stark-sweetheart-apricot It...
Edwin Turlington
apple and cherry tree bark peeling
Is this a concern? Thanks in advance. Dan
Dan Liptak
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™