Any herbal remedy for Keratosis?

mrao77(TX US zone 7)March 20, 2006

Keratosis - is a condition where the skin feels bumpy and rough,with dark raised spots especially in the area of upper arms, upper thigh, back and shoulders.It is not acne, more a hyperpigmentation disorder. It is due to keratin depositing around hair follicles and causing them to block. It is genetic. Anybody know of a herbal remedy?

M here is a link that describes the condition -http://www.emedicine.com/derm/topic211.htm

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Daisyduckworth(Aust)

There are several types of keratosis. In my case, it's a result of excessive exposure to sunlight - a precursor to skin cancer. Because I've had several very nasty skin cancers, my doctor (a GP in a Skin Cancer clinic) keeps a very close watch on my actinic keratosis. From time to time he freeze-burns off some of the worst lesions for purely cosmetic reasons.

I know of no herbal treatment for it, however I use Aloe Vera gel (fresh from the plant) as a moisturiser, which helps a little to reduce the flakiness.

Bookmark   March 20, 2006 at 5:53PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lazy_gardens

Not herbal - but low to moderate supplementation with vitamin A can help (5,000 units/day).

That, moisturizers and gentle exfoliaiton with a luffa can help. And having someone to scrub your back :)

Bookmark   March 20, 2006 at 8:32PM
More Discussions
Herbal Remedies for diabetics
What Herb is grown for the treatment of diabetes? Thanks...
JCTsai
perimenopause - Oestrogen Dominance
Hi, I am 46 in January and have been going through...
roseenglish
Morgellon's syndrome
I have Morgellon's disease. I have seen the organisms...
cacye
Permanent dark eye circles?
Hi everyone, My boyfriend has what seems to be permanent...
Hapslappy
Toasted my rose petals, that OK?
Hi all, I'm trying to infuse rose petals into coconut...
emilylyons22
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™