Can rubbing alcohol 'go bad'?

thorspippi(z9/s14 CA Sacramento)March 23, 2005

Don't know where to ask this. Figured you all might know. Even though it might not be an "herbalism" topic, per se?

Anyway. My bottle of it smells strange, somehow. Don't know if my hormones are going nuts (sometimes things smell strange to me when I'm approaching PMS) or if it really has a strange odor. There's no expiration date on the bottle so I don't know how old it is.

Normally, I only use it when changing an infusion set for my insulin pump. But because of posts I found on this forum regarding flea bites (we're massively infested right now--3 cats and a big dog--and are pretty much swimming in chemicals, much to my displeasure, but DH is going bonkers), I thought I'd try it for the itching.

I dunno, maybe all the chemicals are getting to me, too.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Heathen1(10a)

Well, I am no expert, I thought that the only thing that could happen to alcohol was if the alcohol evaporated, in which time I guess that buggies could take over.

    Bookmark   March 23, 2005 at 7:25PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lifestarter

if it doesn't smell like REAAAAALLLLY hard vodka and totally foul, the alc. has evapd and whats left is h20 contaminated with nasties, plus the bottle is clear so just look for algae or foreign particles as good rubbing alc. is 100% sterile. it has happened to me before and just today i was wondering why in the world the store doesn't seal up the caps with foil like some do.. though i still use 1 bottle with a pull up squirt cap from at latest the early 80s and use it from time to time while the store brand from the 90s was chucked a couple years ago.
and remember, "waft".. never stick your nose into any noxious chemicals or solvents.

    Bookmark   March 24, 2005 at 1:04PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
thorspippi(z9/s14 CA Sacramento)

ahhhh. Good point!

And thanks for the reminder. I did indeed stick my nose in the bottle. (thwaps self on head)

    Bookmark   March 24, 2005 at 3:45PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Traute_Biogardener

If the bottle is made of plastic instead of glass, the plastic will in time give off fumes which are toxic. It also will allow evaporation. Glass doesn't.

    Bookmark   March 28, 2005 at 6:39AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
thorspippi(z9/s14 CA Sacramento)

ahhhhhh. That could very well be! blech.

    Bookmark   March 28, 2005 at 3:01PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lifestarter

glass and gardening don't mix.
if you are a smoker don't use any glass containers for flammable (in this case highly) flammable and combustable liquids.
i smoke cigarettes and would never risk dropping a bottle and having the fumes linger in the garage/shed/basement

    Bookmark   March 28, 2005 at 8:51PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
thorspippi(z9/s14 CA Sacramento)

oh don't worry, I won't transfer it to glass. I'll just buy a new one. This one's possibly old--no date on it.

    Bookmark   March 28, 2005 at 10:30PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lifestarter

70%=79cents at the 99cent store.

    Bookmark   March 29, 2005 at 5:33AM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
warming herbs
How do herbalists today believe that warming herbs...
carrie-ann
Growing Turmeric/Specific questions...
Hello.. I'm pleased to say that I found some fresh...
skyclad
Headache after B12
I tried taking Vit B12 at the recommendation of my...
ghoghunter
Permanent dark eye circles?
Hi everyone, My boyfriend has what seems to be permanent...
Hapslappy
sassafrass poisonus??
A friend of mine has a woods by her house and there...
redring
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™