What part of plant to use for distilling?

kittycrazy(z6 sw MO)March 14, 2005

OK, some are easy, lavender *flowers*, or rosemary *leaves*, but what about cedar? Do I use wood chips or the needles? HOw about night blooming flowers? They are only good for one night, so can I pick them that very night and process them right away, or won't they work at all? And here's an off the wall question, if I distill fresh mowed hay, will the oil and hydrosol smell like freshed mowed hay?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Heathen1(10a)

Well, I am supposing that you know that you need a LOT of plant material to make one drop of EO... I would distill something else first so you know what you are doing. You might get a book on distilling... not everything smells the same distilled as it does on the plant.
I can't stress enough how much plant material it would take to make a half an oz of eo. I am thinking that you might get a couple drops of eo from about 5 gallons of lavender leaves...

Bookmark   March 15, 2005 at 12:23AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Herbalynn(Oregon, 7-8)

Here's a search for past discussions on distilling. SOme are more pertinent thatn others, in answering your specific questions. At the bottom of each main forum page, there is a place where you can search thru the pages for a topic of interest.
Enjoy! Lynn

Here is a link that might be useful: Herbalism forum search

Bookmark   March 16, 2005 at 1:00PM
More Discussions
Toasted my rose petals, that OK?
Hi all, I'm trying to infuse rose petals into coconut...
emilylyons22
Herbal Remedies for High Blood Pressure
What Herb is grown for the treatment of high blood...
barb601
home remedy for kittens with ringworm
My son brought home two kittens. One has very choppy...
toadlilly
Permanent dark eye circles?
Hi everyone, My boyfriend has what seems to be permanent...
Hapslappy
7 Powerful Turmeric Health Benefits & Side Effects
http://draxe.com/turmeric-health-benefits/
JCTsai
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™