Is This Herbalism???

LimoWreck(3)April 26, 2005

Hi..

Sorry in advance for a stupid question.

My friend has had a dream of growing plants to make botanical shampoos and moisturizers since she saw the movie "Practical Magic".

She has been looking up schools for a long time using the term "herbalism". She can only seem to find schools that focus on the medicinal nature of plants. I can see the connection, but she can't.

Is herbalism the right name for this? Would it require a degree of some kind for her to sell anything she created? Would she need a license?

I really appreciate any responses.

Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rusty_blackhaw(6a)

There's a connection if the product(s) have any benefit in moisturizing skin or making hair look better. It's doubtful whether more than a small fraction of the commercial products on the market really do anything except make the buyer feel like they are using a "natural" product.

No degree is mandated to do this (experience or training would be a good idea). Other requirements should be the same as for any other small business (i.e. re taxes, withholding etc.).

Bookmark   April 26, 2005 at 9:57AM
LimoWreck(3)

THANK YOU ERIC!!!

Bookmark   April 26, 2005 at 10:30AM
Judy_B_ON(Ontario 5B)

She will need to check on the local laws in her country, state and city. There may be requirments around making cosmetic products and what ingredients are allowed, this would apply whether plants were in them or not.

If she makes a claim that her products can change body function or treat disease, there will likely be much more strict regulation than if she only claims that they will make hair smell and look nice.

Bookmark   April 26, 2005 at 10:42AM
Heathen1(10a)

I make my own soaps and lotions... it is fairly easy, though, making soap is a little high on the overhead... if you make the GOOD stuff with shea butter and such. She'd better hurry up, the market is getting glutted with soap crafters. I wouldn't promise her riches with her dream....

Bookmark   April 26, 2005 at 10:44AM
More Discussions
Herbal Remedies for diabetics
What Herb is grown for the treatment of diabetes? Thanks...
jctsai8b
Poison Control Center substance categories in calls 2011 plants incl.
Thought I'd post this, list of plants with identity...
gnomeinplaid
Toasted my rose petals, that OK?
Hi all, I'm trying to infuse rose petals into coconut...
emilylyons22
Headache after B12
I tried taking Vit B12 at the recommendation of my...
ghoghunter
home remedy for kittens with ringworm
My son brought home two kittens. One has very choppy...
toadlilly
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™