what do you use native persimmons for?

cousinfloydMarch 13, 2013

Besides eating fresh and pudding (which my wife made last night and is always a treat) how else do you like to enjoy native persimmons? I really like them, but I'd like to find more to do with them, especially the frozen pulp (or any other way they can be eaten out of season.)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lucky_p

cuz,
There are multitudes of persimmon recipes out there on the 'net - puddings, cookies, cakes, pies, jelly, persimmon beer, etc.

Some - like Geneva Long, here, freeze nicely whole, and can be eaten like a popsicle.
I have made persimmon fruit leather by spreading pulp on a cookie sheet covered with plastic wrap and cooking at the lowest oven setting overnight(before I got a dehydrator).

Have dried D.virginiana - squashed or cut in half; just pop the seeds out when you go to eat 'em - not worth the work trying to remove 'em before drying, IMO. Some work better than others - Keener works best here - has high sugar and fiber content and seems to assume a 'chewier' consistency than some others that just seem to get HARD - but that may be an issue of me over-drying 'em.

The D.v.XD.k. hybrid, Rosseyanka, is great for drying; it's mostly seedless, and you can pick/cut them while still fairly firm, slice and dry; very tasty, and they lose astringency in the drying process.

Bookmark   March 13, 2013 at 11:19AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
eskota

They make an excellent substitute for the dates in a date nut bread recipe. Very tasty!

Bookmark   March 13, 2013 at 12:02PM
More Discussions
New orchard...planting between rows
I'm planting a 30 tree apple orchard this spring in...
fernstone118
Trimming overgrown avocado tree then graft?
Dear gardenweb community, I am hoping to hear some...
funlul
Type of Wire for Espalier?
So I've got a tiny (6 trees) fruit orchard that i've...
symplestytches
Hardy Peach Tree; Recommendations?
I am new to peach trees. I bought a Reliance three...
mark_roeder
Too new to know...is this root acceptable?
I'm new to Orcharding and to GardenWeb (what an incredible...
GuardinDawg
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™