'Babcock' peach

MrClintMarch 28, 2014

This picture was from earlier this month. 'Babcock' is excellent here and is a good fruit setter, which requires heavy thinning:

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
eloise_ca

Oh good. I bought a bare-root one from Costco a couple of months ago, and it has been leafing out (correcting - hate when I misspell). I should check for blooms.

This post was edited by eloise_ca on Sat, Mar 29, 14 at 9:34

Bookmark   March 28, 2014 at 8:43AM
MrClint

eloise_ca, good luck with your tree! Babcock has been around a long time and performs well here in So Cal.

Bookmark   March 28, 2014 at 8:17PM
Kippy(SoCal zone 10. Sunset Zone 24)

My Costco Babcock has very different flowers.

Hmm did yours look like this or do I have an imposter?

Bookmark   March 29, 2014 at 12:45AM
eloise_ca

Kippy, the bloom on my Babcock is a lighter pink. Could yours be a nectarine or something else?

Bookmark   March 29, 2014 at 9:36AM

I got mine from costco last season with a Babcock tag. But tags are easy to switch. No fruit last season, so guess I will find out. It is in a cooler area and I am on the coast, but the shape is different than my other peaches too. The leaves look peach. But if it turns out to be a nectarine, that is fine as well.

My nectarines all had lighter flowers, a more standard pink, the plums I think were mostly white. This one stands out with these deep colored flowers and fairly late compared to the other fruit trees.

Bookmark   March 29, 2014 at 1:19PM
MrClint

That's a stunning looking bloom, but nothing like a Babcock that I've ever seen. Could it be a Giant Babcock?

Did some more thinning this morning. Here's a grainy picture after the rain this week:

Bookmark   March 29, 2014 at 3:06PM
fireduck(10a)

Babcock is really the most juicy and sweet peach I have ever grown. The only downside is: it bruises easily and over-ripens quickly. Eat 'em fast!

Bookmark   March 30, 2014 at 8:49PM
MrClint

fireduck, Babcock is a very special piece of fruit in my locale, and has been for a long time. Like most of the sub-acid peaches and nectarines, it has a sweet crunchy stage and a soft melting stage. Often times you can encounter fruit at both stages through the harvest season. As a bonus, Babcock emits a very floral scent when the peaches are ripening that is truly sublime. But you are right, Babcock bruises easily and does not ship well when dead ripe.

Bookmark   March 30, 2014 at 10:44PM

Mine has fuzzy fruit....so it is a peach. Guess time will tell what kind

Bookmark   March 30, 2014 at 11:14PM
LuckyDurazno(9)

Can Any body share some babcock peach pits for postage?
I'm trying to grow one from seed as our local nurseries don't carry it.
Thanks!

Bookmark   May 15, 2014 at 6:54PM
gardener_gardner(10A)

I purchased a Babcock peach tree at a local Mexican market (I know, bad idea) it was only $9.99. This is the second year it's been in the ground. It's about chest high, 5 branches and loaded with fruit. The problem is, the fruit is tasteless. :( I didn't thin the fruit, didn't think they'd all stay on. They are only golf ball sized but fully ripe (color and feel). Are they tasteless because the tree is so young? or I have too many on the branches? or is it where I purchased it? I'm ready to pull it out. :(

Bookmark   June 26, 2014 at 9:26PM
MrClint

'Babcock' peaches are coming in strong right now:

Bookmark   June 27, 2014 at 6:43PM
More Discussions
Foliar fertilizer on fruit
I have been using foliar fertilizers more and more...
crazyman2099
Do i need to use wax for this kind of graft or just masking tape?
I am going to be doing 5 pear cleft grafts with 1/4...
tlbean2004
Paw Paw in Monmouth County NJ
I'm interested in growing several fruit trees on my...
ritzandbigb1
huge raspberry bush!!!!
Help! My husband and I have a humongous 6 foot spread...
satami00
Cherry tree damage from storm
Top third of cherry tree snapped off by falling limb...
jimfnc7
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™