I have a stuffy nose. What herbs are good to drink or inhale? ROP

flowersandthings(MidAtlantic 6/7)April 4, 2006

I have a stuffy (very) nose and a mild sinus infection...... what herbs are good to drink or inhale or rinse out nose ???????

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rusty_blackhaw(6a)

I find that a spoonful of hot Chinese mustard is excellent for stuffiness. Really clears out the ol' antrums.

Best taken with food.

Bookmark   April 4, 2006 at 4:57PM
Daisyduckworth(Aust)

Get some eucalyptus oil and put some on a hanky and sniff it, or inhale it in steam. Clears the passages wonderfully! Nothing is better for the purpose.

Or, if you can find it, get a plant of Japanese Menthol Mint, and sniff that. You can drink a tea of it, too.

Bookmark   April 4, 2006 at 5:53PM
Heathen1(10a)

I find mullein tea is a great decongestant. Nettle tea works well too, specially if it's from allergies.

Bookmark   April 5, 2006 at 12:19AM
herbalbetty

Oh yeah Eric, Chinese mustard will clear out the old nasal passages! As will horseradish or wasabi. And I also do as Daisy suggests, and inhale some eucalyptus oil. Also, a tea made of fresh ginger root, dried sage, with lemon and honey added makes a great remedy for sore throat/sinus problems. I make a large cup and inhale the vapors and then hold the tea in the back of my throat before swallowing. You could also use thyme for tea as well.

Bookmark   April 5, 2006 at 6:31AM
lazy_gardens

Pace Salsa ... the HOT variety, eaten with chips.

Using a saline nose spray.

Bookmark   April 5, 2006 at 12:29PM
cacye(Denver,CO)

I use a formula with cang er zhi(burdock fruit). It also works on sinus headaches. A formula of japanese honeysuckle works if the problem is viral.

Bookmark   April 13, 2006 at 8:02PM
maevesmom(Zone 6)

If you can get fresh horesradish root and grate it yourself. Then eat that grated root on a cracker or toast. This will open up your sinuses.

Bookmark   April 26, 2006 at 4:57PM
lucy(6)

Why not find out what's causing your stuffiness and deal with it?

Bookmark   May 1, 2006 at 8:26AM
totanchietta

Eat the hottest pepper (or some thing along those lines) that you can finde, it's like dropping an attomic bomb of you snot. Now to say some thing smart sounding (yay) alot of the time spicy things have tons of vitamin c wich will help you get better faster.

Bookmark   June 27, 2006 at 2:41PM
Barnibusgamer_gmail_com

I too have a stuffy nose, and used a nasal spray. This worked at first, but it came back, and you have to wait 24 hours before using it again. I have issues when it comes to stuff like this, and it is 4 in the morning and I can't freaking sleep. I am not a mouth breather.

Bookmark   February 19, 2011 at 6:44AM
cacye(Denver,CO)

Stop eating dairy foods and foods with sugar that feed and cause mucus. Rinse with salt water. If viral or allergy, take chuan xin lian. If bacterial, take huang lian. if too involved in other things to figure it out, take Mucinex. If you've had it over one month, look at you other symptoms to get clues. There are over 125 different genera of organisms that cause stuffy nose besides your own immune system.

Bookmark   June 22, 2012 at 2:24AM
More Discussions
insect bites remedies
I have used a chickweed salve and most bites clear...
samtom_gw
7 Powerful Turmeric Health Benefits & Side Effects
http://draxe.com/turmeric-health-benefits/
JCTsai
sassafrass poisonus??
A friend of mine has a woods by her house and there...
redring
perimenopause - Oestrogen Dominance
Hi, I am 46 in January and have been going through...
roseenglish
cure for geographic tongue!!! hooooray!!! i found it!!!!!!
What we all have is also known as a "fungus infection...
jtranok
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™