Basic Interstem questions

PersianMD2OrchardMarch 26, 2013

If you have say Magness pear on quince. And you graft say a quince compatible cultivar (QCC) on the Magness...

1. Will the new QCC have zero added, some added, or full added precociousness (i.e. take advantage of the quince rootstock?)

2. If you graft a quince INcompatible cultivar on the Magness--will the graft fail because eventually it leads up to quince rootstock?

My vote (based on nothing) is question 1: some added precociousness, question 2: graft will succeed!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Scott F Smith(6B/7A MD)

The graft will definitely succeed, and will succeed even if the variety is not quince-compatible. That is a way to graft a non-compatible variety onto quince. I have done it many times, its easy.

The precociousness is from the rootstock primarily so it should be the same. If the interstem is genetically vastly different than the top variety it can have some effect but the interstem is similar to your top so it should not have much effect.

Scott

Bookmark   March 26, 2013 at 12:31PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PersianMD2Orchard

Thanks a lot for the info. BTW Tomcot and Moniqui are full of flower buds thanks for those recs.

Bookmark   March 27, 2013 at 9:30AM
More Discussions
Early-Spring and General Spray Questions for 4-yr old Maryland Orchard
Hi all, I planted the following fruit trees in Spring...
lindsgardeninmd
best tasting pomegranate
I recall an article in CRFG about a year ago about...
markintexas123
Is San Diego just behind with the flowering??
Any San Diegans or southern Californians here? I see...
brownmola
Zone 5 fruit and nut trees Northeast, Nebraska
Hello, I have an acreage near Allen, NE and I would...
cheeta64
Do i need to use wax for this kind of graft or just masking tape?
I am going to be doing 5 pear cleft grafts with 1/4...
tlbean2004
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™