Thorny question

hemnancy(z8 PNW)April 14, 2010

I have a lot of blackberry vines and rose bushes in my yard and seem inevitably to get thorns going through my gloves into my hands. I try to look for them and get them all but I've discovered recently I've been missing a few. I noticed a small grey area down under my skin and dug around in there and found a small thorn tip WAY down there. My skin seems very tough over the buried thorn and not easy to rip through with a needle like one on the surface. I have to apply sideways pressure to even get the thorn to move up enough to snag with a needle, and it is very difficult to do this on one hand since both operations need to be done by the other hand at the same time, if you grasp my meaning.

Anyway, the question is, is there any health hazard to just leaving the tiny buried thorn? I know that in one or two cases it caused a thickened bump over the thorn but these latest cases do not.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
fatamorgana2121(Zone 5/6)

Been there 100%! Well, ok, almost. I wasn't using gloves! But I ended up having a piece of a blackberry thorn lodged in deep - by the time I realized it was there it was completely healed over and the surrounding tissue made a little lump or cyst around it. I had it for quite a number of years before it vanished. Blackberry isn't toxic and the thorn didn't seem to do me any harm. But if it worries you, seek advice from your Dr.

FataMorgana

Bookmark   April 14, 2010 at 9:02PM
hemnancy(z8 PNW)

I'm just torn between the pain of getting it out versus the non-pain but ? of leaving it in. I've done 4 of them so far, not fun. But they are not making bumps or cysts.

Bookmark   April 15, 2010 at 4:03AM
lavender_lass(4b)

That's a tough question. I've read that rose thorns can cause some problems, so you may want to check with your doctor...just to make sure everything is okay. If they don't see a problem, then at least it's one less thing to worry about.

After wrestling with my climbing Cecile Brunner last fall, thornless roses are sounding better all the time :)

Bookmark   April 15, 2010 at 3:58PM
More Discussions
poultice for infection
My boyfriend broke his leg 1 1/2 years ago. He had...
June_Ca
geographic tongue
For everbody who suffers from geographic tongue, i...
rebeccaguimaraes
Looking for a Neurodermatitis recipie.
I'm looking for a recipe for Neurodermatitis condition...
SolusUmbra
What;'s in your bottle of herbal supplement pills?
Probably not what the label claims, according to the...
rusty_blackhaw
bladder infection
My daugter has a bladder infection. I am giving her...
kfgesq
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™