medicinal uses for honey rose sage (salvia microphylla??

cenak(z10CA)April 10, 2007

Does anyone know of any medicinal use for honey rose sage? It looks good in my garden, but I'm thinking of replacing it with something else unless there is some herbal use for it.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jrmankins

I do not know anything about honey rose sage, but the name sounds wonderful. Cooking sage is an excellent medicinal, almost a panacea. It is a soothing antiseptic, good for sore throats and other cold and flu symptoms. If I had some of this sage, I would begin drying some for later use. Then I would experiment with it to see if it does have any medicinal properties. I would probably start with a few fresh or dried leaves in a cup of hot water, to determine its taste, as it may taste good. Start with a small sip or two and wait a bit to see if it produces any adverse symptoms. If not, try some more. Soon you will be able to tell us what its properties are. Good health.
Jeanine

Bookmark   May 2, 2007 at 6:13PM
laurili(California z10)

I am currently trying to find some honey rose sage for my kids' garden. I'm not sure about medicinal (although it probably has some typical sage properties, like being drying and good for colds and coughs,) but what we like about it, is the nectar at the base of the flower, when you pick it off the base, tastes divine!

Lauri

Bookmark   June 8, 2007 at 1:19AM
Heathen1(10a)

I was under the impression that only salvia officinalis was medicinal or edible. officinalis actually means medicinal.

Bookmark   June 18, 2007 at 11:31AM
cabrown9_cox_net

There are a number of California native sages that are medicinal. Accoding to Michael Moore in one of his books, Medicinal Plants of the Mountain West is one, and there are 2 others, he says that any Ca native sage is medicinal if it has a strong fragrance. This includes Salvia apiana (white sage), S. munzii (San Diego Sage), S. mellifera (Black Sage), S. spathacea (Hummingbird Sage--probably the pretties flower of all of these--etc.

Bookmark   January 6, 2011 at 6:10PM
More Discussions
7 Powerful Turmeric Health Benefits & Side Effects
http://draxe.com/turmeric-health-benefits/
jctsai8b
Swollen lymph gland help needed
I have a swollen lymph gland on the bottom of the right...
zzackey
What;'s in your bottle of herbal supplement pills?
Probably not what the label claims, according to the...
rusty_blackhaw
Morgellon's syndrome
I have Morgellon's disease. I have seen the organisms...
cacye
sassafrass poisonus??
A friend of mine has a woods by her house and there...
redring
Sponsored Products
Simplicity by Strasser Cabinets Ultraline 30 in. W x 21 in. D x 34-1/2 in. H
Home Depot
Olivia Toothbrush Stand
$9.99 | zulily
30-inch Recessed Baldwin Medicine Storage Cabinet
Overstock.com
Design House Cabinets Wyndham 16 in. W Single Door Mirrored Medicine Cabinet in
Home Depot
48-inch Shaker Series On the Wall Cabinet/ 24-inch Open Shelf
Overstock.com