Heat wave next week for midwest?

daddyhaslonglegsMarch 7, 2012

For any of us in the Midwest/Ohio Valley/G Lakes, next week has the potential to head into the 70F's for several days. Scary to think how early of a bloom we could have this year. Still some ice on the north side facing trees here, but most everything else is frost free. The apricots always scare me with how early they are able to bloom. 2010 redux?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
denninmi(8a)

I'm showing 50's to around 60 here in the Detroit area next week. Definitely risks the danger of having things come along far too early, and then have a late season outbreak of arctic air take them out. But, I don't know of any way to stop it.

This happened in the spring of 2007 (IIRC) -- way too warm in March, followed by extreme cold.

Bookmark   March 7, 2012 at 3:01PM
daddyhaslonglegs

Add 10F to that...I would say Tues-Sat have the potential for 70F+...Its ugly how warm it looks in the extended range. Going to really cause a lot of pain if the trees all bloom early.

Bookmark   March 7, 2012 at 3:17PM
daddyhaslonglegs

Still looks very warm...probably some 80Fs in the plain states next week...creeping into MN... Warmth starts Saturday and continues for at least 7 days.

Bookmark   March 8, 2012 at 10:40AM
brookw_gw

Frankly, I'm a little surprised things around here don't seem to waking up like you'd think. I cut down over 20 trees last weekend, and they did not bleed at all. My blackberries are beginning to leaf out a little, and there is some swelling on the blueberries and peaches but that's all. I was checking last year's records, and the first rhubarb emerged on March 3. So far, no sign of that yet.

Bookmark   March 8, 2012 at 1:22PM
Scott F Smith(6B/7A MD)

I was very concerned about this early warming but the long-range forecast is that the general warming trend is going to stay in place through March for sure. This means I am probably OK since by April it has usually warmed up here anyway. Folks in colder climates may have more problems in April but this warm trend is caused by La Nina (sic) pattern which is a long-term thing, not just random weather ups and downs.

I am going to have to spray this week, I saw a plum already flowering on my way to work this morning.

Scott
PS see below for the current March/April/May forecast for example. Also poke around this site and you will find discussions of the long-term trends.

Here is a link that might be useful: NWS long-term forecast

Bookmark   March 8, 2012 at 1:45PM
More Discussions
Asian pear spray in first year
Just planted a dwarf asian pear from Starks. Do I need...
ferroplasm Zone 7b
Can Apples grow in the tropics?
I was wondering if apples could really be grown in...
Axel
Source for Hidden Rose Apple?
Looking for a tree or scions but seem to be coming...
jsvand5
huge raspberry bush!!!!
Help! My husband and I have a humongous 6 foot spread...
satami00
Looking for really early (blooming) pear
I have a Hood pear that blooms very early, usually...
jbclem
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™