Native Herb Plants to Northeast (Astabula County) Ohio

gettingtoknowmeApril 14, 2006

Hello,

I am very new to the Herbal concept. I am a gardner and my Grandmother was into Herbs and their medicinal purposes but it didn't matter to me then and now I want very much to explore this area. I would like to add some plants to my garden and am not sure of what choices. Is Lavendar an easy herb to get at any nursery?

Also, I have a more needed question than that. I am looking for 'native' herb plants to Ashtabula County here in Ohio. This has been a very hard task. Could someone please advice me where I could find this information and their preparation, ie... foods, medicinal, aromtherapy..salves.

Thanks again for any help you could offer.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Heathen1(10a)

Have you tried Googling Native Ohio medicinal herbs? There are actually a few books written about different areas and their herbs. You might find some info. If not... there's a few that are everywhere, like Mullein, which I think grows everywhere in the US... stuff like that.... chickweed.... etc.

Bookmark   April 15, 2006 at 12:43PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
herbalbetty

Congrats on becoming interested in herbs and honoring your grandmother. Check the Herb Society of America. They maintain a huge garden near Cleveland. Google them and then search for chapters near you. You can also check with your local county cooperative extension for members who are into herbs. Then, google "Ohio" and "herb clubs" or "herbal events" or "native herbs". Good luck!

Bookmark   April 16, 2006 at 7:26AM
More Discussions
perimenopause - Oestrogen Dominance
Hi, I am 46 in January and have been going through...
roseenglish
7 Powerful Turmeric Health Benefits & Side Effects
http://draxe.com/turmeric-health-benefits/
jctsai8b
What;'s in your bottle of herbal supplement pills?
Probably not what the label claims, according to the...
rusty_blackhaw
Morgellon's syndrome
I have Morgellon's disease. I have seen the organisms...
cacye
herbal medicine
Hello, I am just getting into indoor gardening. I f...
sunny57
Sponsored Products
Teak Square Planter - Small
Signature Hardware
International Caravan Valencia 4-tier 12-inch Wide Plant Shelf
Overstock.com
Floral Garden Trellis
Grandin Road
Ranunculus Picotee Bulb - Set of 25
$8.99 | zulily
Grill Master 8-piece Seasoning Set
$50.00 | FRONTGATE