Study Finds Supplements Contain Contaminants

brendan_of_bonsai(4b AK)May 29, 2010
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rusty_blackhaw(6a)

Good example of "contamination" discussed in a Boston Globe article I read recently. The "herbal" tea Pai You Guo contains the weight loss drug silbutramine, and a possibly carcinogenic compound, phenolpthalein. Despite an FDA-announced recall the product remains on the shelves at some shops.

Apparently certain "herbal" products depend on the hidden presence of pharma drugs which can cause harm, especially if consumers are unaware and/or if the drugs are no longer supposed to be used because of known dangers.

Bookmark   June 4, 2010 at 12:02AM
oakleif(z6 AR)

Goodness it sounds almost as bad as goofups by the drug companys. I read recently where some drug company let millions of pills loose with no medicine landing in the capsules. Sorry no links It's been awhile. If intrested look for yourself. TIA

Bookmark   June 16, 2010 at 5:02AM
rusty_blackhaw(6a)

Since this is a herbalism forum, most people would be interested in hearing about effectiveness and safety of herbal products.

I'm sure you'd agree that supplement dealers should not be selling alleged herbal products that are adulterated with prescription drugs without consumers' knowledge.

Bookmark   June 16, 2010 at 11:09AM
More Discussions
Swollen lymph gland help needed
I have a swollen lymph gland on the bottom of the right...
zzackey
Growing Turmeric/Specific questions...
Hello.. I'm pleased to say that I found some fresh...
skyclad
Salvia D.
Would this be a suitable place to talk about Diviner's...
winterpeg_man
bladder infection
My daugter has a bladder infection. I am giving her...
kfgesq
Herbal Remedies for diabetics
What Herb is grown for the treatment of diabetes? Thanks...
JCTsai
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™