Cane Borer Treatment Options for Blackberries

jtburtonMarch 20, 2014

After completing my late winter pruning I noticed that many of my blackberry plants, especially the trailing varieties, had cane borer infestations. After reviewing treatment approaches on the internet, the first recommended step was to remove (e.g. prune) infected canes and burn them. If the infestations were greater than 5-10% of the total pruned canes, then it was recommended to use an insecticide to curb the cane borer population.

The two insecticides recommended include:
1) Admire Pro: used as a soil drench in early spring
2) Pyrellin: used as spray for primocanes during early summer

I don't really want to start using insecticides so I'm looking for advice. How have you managed cane borers issues in your berry patch? Have you used either of the aforementioned insecticides, and if so, what was your experience with them?

Here is a link that might be useful: Rednecked Cane Borer Control

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
drew51 SE MI Z5b/6a

I have not had a problem here. I sometimes spray them when spraying my trees for insects. But only early in the season before flowers open. Like I'm about to hit them with dormant oil with lime-sulfur added. In about 2 weeks. This is really for my trees, but I usually have extra and so use it.

Bookmark   March 20, 2014 at 10:53PM
More Discussions
stark bros apricot with pits that taste like almonds
Does anyone have experience with this apricot variety? http://www.starkbros.com/products/fruit-trees/apricot-trees/stark-sweetheart-apricot It...
Bushwhacker Blood
Questions on American Plum, Chickasaw Plum, & Beach Plum
Hi, I have limited space and will definitely be planting...
njbiology
Goji Berries, where to buy seeds?
Hey, so this is my second year gardening, last year...
M3rc_Nate
Plum tree
My plum tree has new growth. I remember a couple of...
tim45z10
Strange world of paw paw's
Because the extended drought in my area my paw paw's...
persimmonbob
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™