Best bottle color?

greymaidenMay 25, 2009

I apologize in advance if this has already been addressed. I can't make the search function on this forum work. It just returns a blank page. If someone just wants to link me to where this was previously discussed that would be great too.

I'm about to place an order for bottles and jars for the purpose of storing my herbal tinctures and and dried herbs. I am really digging the blue bottles and jars because they are so pretty! I know amber bottles and jars are the "industry standard" though.

Is one color of dark bottle/jar better than the other? I know clear jars don't protect herbs and tinctures from the light as well, but I am not sure what dark color does this best.

So, herbalists, tell me: Would you rather store your herbs and tinctures in blue bottles or amber ones? Why? Does it make a difference?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
brendan_of_bonsai(4b AK)

UV is what causes the most problems, Blue is closer to UV and as a result lets more UV through, same problem with green (ever notice how beer in green bottles is skunky?). Brown is standard for a reason, you can also find black if you look in the right places. Store the bottles in a cool, dry, and dark place. Bottles with built in dropper tops are more susceptible to air seepage and as a result more likely to suffer from oxidative damage in long term storage situations.

Bookmark   May 25, 2009 at 6:15PM
herbalbetty

Amber bottles are what I use most. There are some violet bottles on the market that are touted as being even better, but I don't know if that is true or just marketing. The price seems to be triple or more of amber jars though. However, if you are storing your tinctures and dried herbs in a enclosed space away from light, you would be fine using the blue bottles. Heck, you can even use clear bottles and jars if your items are being stored in an enclosed space that doesn't get light (like an armoire or a doored closet that doesn't have a light on all the time). If it is open shelving in a room, even if the sunlight doesn't directly hit the herbs, I would use amber. Best of luck!

Bookmark   May 26, 2009 at 6:54AM
luckygal(3b)

Amber, unless you are using them quickly. I only buy mists in blue bottles as I've never found them in anything else. I wouldn't buy a product in a blue bottle otherwise.

For any products I make I use amber/brown containers.

Bookmark   May 26, 2009 at 7:32PM
novice_2009(zone 6b)

As far as tinctures and the like, amber is the way to go. I use recycled glass jars to store herbs, herb combos in, and then put them in a cool place, away from heat and light. that's the advantage to amber bottles. they help to keep out light. my understanding is: heat, light, and air will break down herbs, so if you can protect them by storing them, all the better. They will last longer for you.

Bookmark   May 28, 2009 at 1:09PM
greymaiden

Follow up on my own post!

Thanks for the consensus, everyone. I consulted with a licensed pharmacist on the matter and he also said that amber bottles were the best for storage because they block more kinds of light than blue or green bottles. (Didn't ask about black or purple though!)

So consider this case closed. Blue bottles are pretty, but amber bottles are better!

Bookmark   June 1, 2009 at 1:38PM
More Discussions
Herbal Remedies for High Blood Pressure
What Herb is grown for the treatment of high blood...
barb601
Permanent dark eye circles?
Hi everyone, My boyfriend has what seems to be permanent...
Hapslappy
Poison Control Center substance categories in calls 2011 plants incl.
Thought I'd post this, list of plants with identity...
gnomeinplaid
Vermifuges
With global warming, many will be encountering parasites...
eibren
Toasted my rose petals, that OK?
Hi all, I'm trying to infuse rose petals into coconut...
emilylyons22
Sponsored Products
Afina Metro LS-MET-SN 4.5W in.Light Sconce - Satin Nickel - LS-MET-SN
$245.99 | Hayneedle
Drum Shape Wooden Pendant Light in Nature Color
ParrotUncle
Safavieh Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Safavieh Rugs Chelsea Ivory / Camel 4 ft. x 4
Home Depot
RCA Table or Wall Lamp by Grupo B.lux
$600.65 | Lumens
Virginia Beige Contempo Area Rug (7'9 x 11')
Overstock.com
Safavieh Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Safavieh Rugs Southampton Black 5 ft. x 8 ft.
Home Depot
Bottle Cap Americana Wall D├ęcor
$14.99 | zulily
Michael Graves Round Mat by Alessi
$86.00 | Lumens
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™