wishful thinking ?

john222-gg(Mississippi 8a/8b)March 7, 2014

I live in the deep south. Our weather is as bad as it gets. Growing fruit is a challenge. You have to have a strong spray schedule or lose every thing. I have been reading about all the cherry trees with low chill requirements and wondering if any would survive. I have every thing but a sweet cherry. I even have one wild cherry just for fun. sweet cherry is the only fruit I don't grow. My humidity is the main killer a lot of the time near 100%. All advice will be appreciated.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
fruitnut Z7 4500ft SW TX

The DWN low chill cherries will bloom where you are if they live long enough. But sweet cherries are one of the most challenging fruits to grow. They certainly have proven to be that for me. I get 1-50% set and they are the only fruit to have a little rot. That's with zero rain and protected in my greenhouse with humidity well below yours. I'm sure DWN and the Zaiger's will appreciate your contribution but it's going to be about that.

If you are successfully growing pluot, plum, or apricot then maybe give it a shot. If those don't work cherries won't either.

Bookmark   March 7, 2014 at 2:20PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
john222-gg(Mississippi 8a/8b)

Fruitnut

thanks for the info you always help. Yes I grow plums,pears,peaches.figs,apples,paw paw,jujbe,persimon,nectrine,satsuma,blueberry,mulbery, lowquat,pomergranite,& wild cherrys. I might as well give it a shot. My wife would happy just to see it bloom. If it last 4 or 5 years we would be happy just to say we have one thanks for the info.

Bookmark   March 7, 2014 at 3:24PM
More Discussions
Will these plum tree buds be damaged by frosts we will have next week
This is my bruce plum tree. The buds have started to...
tlbean2004
Zone 5 fruit and nut trees Northeast, Nebraska
Hello, I have an acreage near Allen, NE and I would...
cheeta64
Bareroot pruning of a multi-branched nectarine?
Just picked up a bareroot Snow Queen and it has several...
brownmola
Grafting thin scionwood?
I just received an order of scionwood from Tim Strickler...
jbclem
best tasting pomegranate
I recall an article in CRFG about a year ago about...
markintexas123
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™