Thoughts on Northeast weather

garyt33(5/6)March 18, 2013

We didnâÂÂt get the âÂÂIndian Springâ that devastated last years apple crop and the projected temperatures for the remainder of March are continued cold.Hoping for a nice gradual warm up in April. Is everyone else feeling optimistic as well? I am wondering, given acceptable conditions, how the trees that didnâÂÂt produce last year will respond? Any thoughts?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
guatejo

Here in New Hampshire the frost only went 4 inches into the ground -at least at my home. This I think will make for a good bulb flowering and more importantly, less severe flooding I'm hopping. All trees and shrubs are looking good and I, like you, will be looking for a large crop of apples.

Bookmark   March 18, 2013 at 10:54AM
Raw_Nature(5 OH)

Yes, everything looks decent so far! I'll be counting on climbing 30 foot standard apple trees, that were abandoned! Nothings more dissapointing then driving all the way out there, finding out you got nothing! Most of then apples around here are biennial bearing, perhaps because no one thins the fruit... I might try to keep up with them... I'm on top of lake Erie, and I'm waitin for spring weather! Anyways, good luck with the season!!

Joe

Bookmark   March 18, 2013 at 12:50PM
mrsg47(7)

In RI we're having a real spring. Even though a 'spring' snow shower is due tonight followed by rain. (not un-typical). Once that happens I really hope the winter is over. The sun angles are so strong, everything that is white that might fall out of the sky melts immediately. My apples have buds that are now reddish. Very exciting. It also looks as of all of my trees planted last spring have made through a fairly nasty and icy winter. Its nice to have the seasons behave like they should.

Bookmark   March 18, 2013 at 1:24PM
edweather(Zone 5a/b Central NY)

Things suck up here in Syracuse. No wonder the real estate market is always soft up here. Another *%^& storm today! We've been locked in the freeze for 3 months, with another week at least, to go. Everybody's in a lousy mood waiting for spring. Guess I'll just have to just keep whistling past the graveyard 'til it's over. Poor Eddie ;-/

Bookmark   March 18, 2013 at 1:31PM
glib(5.5)

Huge apple crop this year, but I wonder if Northern Spy and other late apples will make it. Basically, by the end of this month we will be at a soil temperature point which we usually cross around March 10. The highs for Tu,W,Th are 31,30,32. The long term forecast sees 50+ temperatures only well into April.

Bookmark   March 18, 2013 at 3:06PM
More Discussions
Looks like no pears this year.
We have gotten a lot of chill hours this year for the...
insteng
best tasting pomegranate
I recall an article in CRFG about a year ago about...
markintexas123
Zone 5 fruit and nut trees Northeast, Nebraska
Hello, I have an acreage near Allen, NE and I would...
cheeta64
can anyone know what kind of this tree is?
Recently I found a tree at my backyard got a lot of...
Athena Lu
Is San Diego just behind with the flowering??
Any San Diegans or southern Californians here? I see...
brownmola
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™