Raspberries and blackberries

Brett-CpGMarch 28, 2014

I just got in 2 types of raspberries and 2 types of blackberries (indianaberry, if it matters), and I got 2 plants of each...so a total of 8 plants. My plan was to put 1 of each plant in the ground, and 1 of each in a container. Here are my two questions:

1) What is the smallest container I can get away with? I've got some 14" diameter pots that are about 14" deep for now. I'm guessing it's way too small and the plant won't do well, but will I straight up kill the plant doing this?

2) What is the best way to contain plants in the ground? I'm renting property with a big backyard for the next 2-3 years (hence why I want to keep some in containers). I've got permission to tear up the yard a bit and plant a garden, but I don't think the landlord wants brambles for the next 20 years after I leave. Does anyone have good tricks to keep berries contained?

As an aside, I know not to expect berries this year, since there are no canes yet.

Thanks in advance.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
shazaam(NC 7B)

Judging from the dimensions that you listed, your pots are just under 10 gallons in size and should be perfectly fine for raspberries and blackberries. I have healthy raspberries in pots as small as 4 gallons, and I have a bunch of newly planted raspberries and blackberries that I intend to grow long term in 7-10 gallon pots. Of course, the larger the pot, the larger the potential fruit yield, but you can grow happy and healthy plants even in small pots as long as you provide the proper conditions (see the linked thread below for some good tips on growing plants in containers).

Here is a link that might be useful: Container Soils - Water Movement and Retention XVII

Bookmark   March 28, 2014 at 12:55PM
More Discussions
Wisconsin honeyberry/haskap growers?
I'm combining the two as it seems with continued breeding...
wisconsitom
Beach Plum / Prunus Maritima Cultivation Questions
Hello all! I scarified a handful of seeds from beach...
liamkelly Zone 6b Rhode Island / 5b Massachusetts
new orchard - a few questions
I'd like to start a small orchard on a recently purchased...
Fiona Kerr
My Spupreme plum turns into Alderman!
At Plant Hill Nursery! They don't have a email address,...
Konrad___far_north
Can I store apple rootstock in the fridge?
I'll be getting a couple apple rootstocks the first...
edweather
Sponsored Products
Illume Desert Tulip Gallery Glass Candle
$49.50 | FRONTGATE
Raspberry Crush Chair
$249.99 | Dot & Bo
Darya Rugs Suzani, Raspberry, 6'2" x 6'2" M1710-401
Darya Rugs
Raspberry Eruption Cheesecake - WHITE/RASPBERRY
$98.00 | Horchow
Pink And Raspberry "E" Striped Monogram Kids Table Lamp
Lamps Plus