Question about pots

Lori615(5b (GR, MI))March 17, 2013

I have seven blueberries that I'm trying to decide how to pot. They are 3-4 years old, in 1-gallon pots. I have 22" decorative pots that I would like for them to have as a permanent home, but for this year, I think they would swallow up these little guys. I am considering putting them in 5-gallon pots for the first year or two, then transplanting to the bigger 22" pots.

If I do this, should I use the black nursery pots from Greenhouse Megastore? Or are they too thin? These will be sitting on my second story deck, and I'm afraid those nursery-style pots are too flimsy and will cook the roots. I see many of you talking about your 5-gallon or 15-gallon pots...are you talking about these thin black pots?

Where do you get your pots for the type of use I'm describing? Thank you.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
shazaam(NC 7B)

You're in slightly cooler zone than I am, but I've had trouble with black plastic pots for all fruits, especially blueberries (even when I've attempted to shade the pots to keep down heat gain). By comparison, my plants in terra cotta and fabric aeration containers (Smart Pot, etc.) have performed very well. Other growers seem to do fine with plastic, but I've given up on it entirely.

One option that you might want to consider is the inexpensive Root Pouches at Greenhouse Megastore. You could put those inside your 22" pots and have the best of both worlds -- excellent aeration and drainage plus a decorative exterior.

This post was edited by shazaam on Sun, Mar 17, 13 at 10:27

Bookmark   March 17, 2013 at 10:22AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Lori615(5b (GR, MI))

That sounds like a great idea! Thank you, Shazaam!

Bookmark   March 18, 2013 at 11:58PM
More Discussions
How to shape this Grape Vine
Here is a grafted Perlette Grape Vine growing in it's...
dan8_gw (Northern California Zone 9A)
huge raspberry bush!!!!
Help! My husband and I have a humongous 6 foot spread...
satami00
Can Apples grow in the tropics?
I was wondering if apples could really be grown in...
Axel
Asian pear spray in first year
Just planted a dwarf asian pear from Starks. Do I need...
ferroplasm Zone 7b
Looking for really early (blooming) pear
I have a Hood pear that blooms very early, usually...
jbclem
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™