Silver Tips in MN in March!!!!!

oldryderMarch 18, 2012

At a time when there would still be snow on the ground and at least 2 or 3 more weeks of frozen ground in a normal year my fruit trees are all budding.

seems like a very high probability of no fruit this year since it'll be a miracle if we don't get a frost during bloom with everything starting so early.

if there is anything I can do to reduce the probability of losing everything I'd be interested in hearing it.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
firstyear

I was just coming online to post something similar. We're in Eastern Mass and the peaches and plums are swollen already. Patriot blueberries are showing separate buds. From my notes, we're about 2 weeks ahead of last years schedule.

We have a severe winter moth problem, which defoliates blueberries, cherries and apple before buds fully emerge, but the moth appears to still be dormant. With some luck, the weather and moth will cooperate for a few more weeks and we'll have a great year.

Bookmark   March 18, 2012 at 12:21PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Edymnion(7a)

I'm crossing my fingers we don't get any more snap freezes. We had one down here that darned near took out my sugar cane, but we're not forecast to have any more really cold weather in the 10-day, so I'm crossing my fingers that we'll be safe down here in TN.

I hope so anyway, because I've already rolled my dice and put my stuff out in the garden over the past week, and everything is growing nicely. Way too much out there now to bring it back in, and my mulberry tree is already starting to fruit, so the weather had better play nice!

Bookmark   March 18, 2012 at 1:15PM
More Discussions
Will these plum tree buds be damaged by frosts we will have next week
This is my bruce plum tree. The buds have started to...
tlbean2004
Looks like no pears this year.
We have gotten a lot of chill hours this year for the...
insteng
What type of grafting tape do you use?
Last year I used electric tape and got about 98% success...
Mike Hughes
Damage to Honeycrisp tree (photo)
I planted this Honeycrisp apple tree a week ago and...
Edwin Turlington
Asian pear spray in first year
Just planted a dwarf asian pear from Starks. Do I need...
ferroplasm Zone 7b
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™