Kava

seldomseensmith2May 9, 2005

I've spent some time searching for kava seeds or plants and can't find anything other than extract. Anyone?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Heathen1(10a)

I am guessing that they are so tropical and maybe extremely picky that they can't be grown out of their environments... not sure... that's a guess.

Bookmark   May 9, 2005 at 9:47PM
Heathen1(10a)

okay I found it at Native Habitat Ethnobotanicals... for $30. There's a few things about NHE. They take FOREVER... and you never know when they will ship. Plus, there are no instructions on how to grow. With the tropical Piper family, I'd think it'd need high heat, lots of water and probably shade during hottest part of the day... although you don't have your zone down...I am assuming that you aren't in a tropical zone.
If you have a greenhouse, you will probably have no trouble growing one.

Bookmark   May 9, 2005 at 9:55PM
seldomseensmith2

You are awesome. And apparently I am not. Thanks for all the info. I do have a greenhouse and am excited about kava. I'll keep you informed on the progress.

Bookmark   May 10, 2005 at 7:14AM
Heathen1(10a)

why aren't you awesome? You have a greenhouse... pretty awesome to me! Now... would you take a cutting of it and share it with poor little me? :oD Lee at Native Habitat is a very nice man, but very very slow... I ordered a plant in February...still haven't got it.. he grows it from cuttings then sends it. I have gotten many plants from him, if you are willing to wait 6 months, you will get good plants, but you kinda have to guess on how to grow it... I have a few medicinals from Mexico that are still alive.... :oD

Bookmark   May 10, 2005 at 12:15PM
apollog

I remember traveling from the Midwestern US (where I had a fairly deep tan) to Hawaii, and I got a severe sunburn very quickly the first day - the intensity of the light is much higher compared to 37 degrees latitude!! I'm guessing that the plants that are happy with some shade in Hawaii would probably want full sun in much of the continental US.

Bookmark   July 23, 2009 at 7:38PM
More Discussions
Looking for a Neurodermatitis recipie.
I'm looking for a recipe for Neurodermatitis condition...
solusumbra
Growing Turmeric/Specific questions...
Hello.. I'm pleased to say that I found some fresh...
skyclad
Headache after B12
I tried taking Vit B12 at the recommendation of my...
ghoghunter
perimenopause - Oestrogen Dominance
Hi, I am 46 in January and have been going through...
roseenglish
Permanent dark eye circles?
Hi everyone, My boyfriend has what seems to be permanent...
Hapslappy
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™