Help with Pruning my Peach Tree?

doi4100March 22, 2013

Hi All,

I have a dwarf contender peach tree that I planted last spring. It did quite well last year, but I know I need to prune it. I know the low branch will need to come off, but how close to the trunk should I cut it? I am going to shape it like a goblet to let the sun inside too.

How low should I cut the center trunk (does it have a real name?)

This picture was taken yesterday, we've been getting a lot of late cold weather. Is it okay to prune it now, or should I wait? Thanks!

Kevin

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
fruitnut Z7 4500ft SW TX

Kevin:

Cut the low branch so as to leave the collar area if it has one near the base.

Then cut the central leader back to leave 3-4 main scaffolds that will form the vase shape. It's a little hard to get depth on the photo. But I'd be taking off the top and those three shoots right and 4 left. Now if you want a taller tree you could cut off the lower branches and make the same shape tree out of those 7 higher shoots.

I'd also cut about a third off the ends of the main scaffolds. This is to increase branching and to stiffen the scaffolds so they'll hold up fruit next year.

That would be my approach. Harvestman can now tell you the right way ;-)

Bookmark   March 22, 2013 at 2:21PM
doi4100

Thanks! I appreciate the response and the help!

Bookmark   March 23, 2013 at 9:57PM
fireduck(10a)

I agree with F...cutting the right low branch back right next to the main leader (never leaving "stumps" to die back and rot). That branch must go now. Peach bear/flower on last years growth. It is hard to get a read on the actual size of this tree because there is nothing to relate to in the photo. I tend to try and at least taste a fruit asap...which means allowing one or two to develop. It may slow down the trees growth a bit...but it is not a huge deal. Doing the thinning cuts up higher is a good idea too (as F said) but not a must like the right low branch.

Bookmark   March 23, 2013 at 11:14PM
doi4100

It was difficult for me, but the lower right branch is now gone. I'm not used to pruning fruit trees, so I kinda felt like I was doing something bad, even though I know it wasn't. I was actually quite sure it had to go, but wanted to hear from someone with experience before I did it. Thanks!

Bookmark   March 25, 2013 at 2:22PM
ravenh2001

My take on the high low choise from fruitnut is this. Do you want to stand on the mower seat to pick a peach, or stop the mower to go back and pick up your hat when you get close to the tree.

Bookmark   March 25, 2013 at 4:43PM
More Discussions
plum truble
I have a gold plum tree aprox 5years old. It has always...
john zone 8
KNNN espalier planting
Hi - I just planted some 1 year bare root apple trees....
Jamie Cartwright
Fungus on grapes from last season?
Near the end of last season my grape plants got a fungus...
frdnicholas
Can I prevent Fire Blight the way I prevent Peach Leaf Curl?
Okay, so it's pretty easy to prevent peach leaf curl....
frostygardener
pls recommend
Experienced Fruit Tree Growers, I suspect that all...
thecityman, Zone 7a/6b near Nashville
Sponsored Products
Global Amici Hermetic Milk Bottle - Z7AI4470R
$24.99 | Hayneedle
Achla Designs Resin Rain Barrel - RB-03
$143.98 | Hayneedle
Thermocast Kitchen Chesapeake Drop-in Acrylic 33x22x9 5-Hole Double Bowl
Home Depot
Magic Blue Metallic Cleo 16" Wide Pendant Chandelier
Lamps Plus
Home Decorators Collection Patio Umbrellas 9 ft. Auto-Tilt Patio Umbrella in
Home Depot
Arbez Rug 5'6" x 8'6"
$599.00 | Horchow
Bonnie Rug 8' x 10'
$3,699.00 | Horchow
Sterling Finesse 5475-59-G74 59.625W x 70.3125H in. Cirkette Glass Shower Door -
$753.99 | Hayneedle
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™