Some good practical herbalism resources?

b_fleetwoodJune 13, 2006

I've lurked on these forums for some time and I am interested in herbalism, but there is a lot of unsubstantiated nonsense about the subject. I don't see herbal medicine as a replacement for modern medicine but I think that modern doctors have a tendency to treat diseases instead of patients and focus on curing diseases instead of preventing them and promoting overall health.

Can anyone provide a reading list for a herbalism newbie with special emphasis on including specific herbs or vegetables in ones normal diet to promote better health the prevention of specific conditions/illness?

Eric_oh, I am particularly interested in any books you might suggest, because of your particular views on the subject of scientifically substantiated herbalism. Though, any resources anyone can provide will be helpful and much appreciated.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rusty_blackhaw(6a)

A couple of books you might find interesting and valuable - Steven Foster's "Herbal Renaissance" and "Herbs of Choice" by Varro Tyler are modern appraisals of herbal medicine that take into account research into the effectiveness and safety of herbs.

This thread mentions several good online sources for evaluating botanical remedies. Some of these sources discuss findings on foods/supplements which have been promoted as preventing disease (including lycopene (found in tomatoes), vitamin E, pomegranate juice etc.), some of which are promising and some which haven't lived up to their initial billing.

Bookmark   June 13, 2006 at 8:58AM
lazy_gardens

Michael Moore's herbal site has a lot of good informaiton.

http://www.swsbm.com/homepage/

http://medherb.com/MATMED.HTM

Bookmark   June 13, 2006 at 7:57PM
b_fleetwood

Thanks guys i'll check those out.

Bookmark   June 14, 2006 at 2:34AM
herbalbetty

also check out David Winston's site, www.herbalist-alchemist.com The American Herblists Guild Journal also gives good reading. Herbs for Health is a terrific magazine geared toward edibles for health. The Herb Pharm has some very interesting lectures to download. All these places are very scientifically based, yet with a strong sense of honoring herbal tradition.

Bookmark   June 14, 2006 at 4:15PM
More Discussions
Poison Control Center substance categories in calls 2011 plants incl.
Thought I'd post this, list of plants with identity...
gnomeinplaid
Growing Turmeric/Specific questions...
Hello.. I'm pleased to say that I found some fresh...
skyclad
insect bites remedies
I have used a chickweed salve and most bites clear...
samtom_gw
home remedy for kittens with ringworm
My son brought home two kittens. One has very choppy...
toadlilly
What herbs are you propagating now?
I love this time of year. The majority of the planting...
jll0306
Sponsored Products
Maria Theresa Chrome Thirty-Four Light 36-Inch Chandelier with Royal Cut Clear C
Bellacor
Modern Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: LR Resources Rugs Majestic Multi 8 ft. x 10 ft.
Home Depot
Titan 3 Pendant & Diffuser - Olive - Original BTC
$665.00 | HORNE
Space-Saving TP Stand
$34.99 | Dot & Bo
Varaluz | Elysse Wall Sconce
$199.00 | YLighting
Irena Curtain Panel with Attached Backing
Overstock.com
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™