deer like blueberry bushes, right? how much

thomis(7)March 25, 2009

I am planning a spot for some blueberry bushes and I like a spot outside the fence. I am wondering how they rank on the deer's hitlist. If it's futile I need to plan them all inside the fence. Whatcha think?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kniles38(5)

They ate mine right down to the ground. Luckily, they recovered and are now netted.

Bookmark   March 25, 2009 at 10:55AM
djofnelson(7ACtrlVAfoothills)

Where I live, blueberries aren't very high on their list, but they will eat young growth if there isn't much else around to eat (e.g., during the winter). An occasional spray with deer repellant has worked for me.

Bookmark   March 25, 2009 at 11:36AM
ericwi

Living in the city of Madison, we have more trouble with rabbits feasting on our blueberry shrubs during the winter. They go for the tips of the branches, and they take out many of the buds. One partial solution is to pile snow on the plants, until they are buried. Another prevention is to spray the shrubs with fungicide in the fall, which is supposed to make the branches taste bitter. I haven't done this yet, but after the damage done last winter, I will be out there this fall with a spray bottle. We have several shrubs that lost about 1/2 of the fruiting branches.

Bookmark   March 25, 2009 at 12:09PM
swvirginiadave(z6 VA)

The deer never bothered mine, but the rabbits chewed off the small plants until I fenced them out whith chicken wire fence.

Bookmark   March 25, 2009 at 12:43PM
kiwinut

Deer rarely bother mine, and the pressure is high. They nibble on the ends of the tender new growth a little if food is scarce, but not enough to worry over. Even in 2007 during the extreme drought following the Easter freeze when the deer were starving, they did not do much damage to the blueberries. They did eat everything else that year-even nibbled on my pawpaws.

Bookmark   March 25, 2009 at 3:21PM
More Discussions
Need late flowering pears?
Seems all of my pears are early flowering which is...
Konrad..just outside of Edmoton Alberta
Will these plum tree buds be damaged by frosts we will have next week
This is my bruce plum tree. The buds have started to...
tlbean2004
Too new to know...is this root acceptable?
I'm new to Orcharding and to GardenWeb (what an incredible...
GuardinDawg
Blackberries in the age of SWD
It seems that spotted wing Drosophila is making blackberry...
marc5
Broken citrus tree
Hello all. Last May, I planted satsuma and kumquat...
lsugolfredman
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™