Using Stevia

gardenkitteh(7)June 5, 2008

I'm using Stevia as a sugar substitute (I, along with every woman in my family, am pre-diabetic, so I figured it was worth a shot).

I seem to be having trouble getting the sweet out of the Stevia.

I've tried seeping it in boiling water, and I've wound up with a really dilute, barely sweet drink that is mostly after taste--but the leaves are still really sweet when you eat them. I've tried fresh leaves and dried leaves.

I've tried seeping them in vodka, and while the sweet goes out of the leaves and into the alcohol, the alcohol taste pretty much overwhelms the sweet. I've tried evaporating the alcohol, and my kitchen smelled like alcohol, and it didn't seem to do much for the underlying alcohol taste.

I've tried cutting up the fresh leaves and putting them in food, and what I wind up with are bites of really sweet with bites of not-so-sweet.

Would grinding the dry leaves into powder work? Any suggestions?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lucy(6)

Why don't you just call the company and see if they have any tricks? I would think they might have a few.

Bookmark   June 13, 2008 at 7:47AM
barefootfarmah

They have a stevia sweetener on the market now-comes in little packets. I haven't tried it, but my guess is that it's powdered, dried stevia.

Bookmark   July 16, 2008 at 12:00AM
ltcollins1949(9a TX)

My friend had some stevia that was in the form of tablets. My DH put 1/2 tablet in his coffee (he usually uses 4 teaspoons of sugar), and he couldn't drink his coffee with the stevia. He said it was way too sweet.

Bookmark   July 21, 2008 at 10:44AM
More Discussions
cure for geographic tongue!!! hooooray!!! i found it!!!!!!
What we all have is also known as a "fungus infection...
jtranok
herbal medicine
Hello, I am just getting into indoor gardening. I f...
sunny57
geographic tongue
For everbody who suffers from geographic tongue, i...
rebeccaguimaraes
home remedy for kittens with ringworm
My son brought home two kittens. One has very choppy...
toadlilly
thyroid problems
I'd like to know if some of you with thyroid problems...
Peter.1210
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™