Storing Herbs, Drying and Freezing

dpinker1(z4 NY)June 12, 2005

Many of my herbs are ready to be picked. This is my first herb garden and I welcome any help. How do you store them, freeze them and which ones should I dry. I have the following:

Basil, Oregano, German Chamomile, Mint chocolate, spearmint, peppermint, Dill, Chives, Sage, Rosemary, Parsley, Bee Balm, Thyme and Chervil. One other that I don't yet recall. I want to be able to use them throughout the winter months and will be using fresh throughout the summer. I also grew some lavender to mix with some for sented gifts. Because I'm currently out of work I am also looking for gift idea's. Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
herbalbetty

dpinker, dry everything but the basil and chives. For the oregano, mints, dill, sage, rosemary, parsley, bee balm, thyme and chervil - harvest after the dew has dried, and then bunch them into small bundles (strip off some of the lower leaves if necessary), put a rubber band around them and hang up to dry. For basil and chives, you might want to freeze. Whir the individual herb in the blender with just a little water to help things along and freeze into ice cubes. Put the ice cubes into freezer bags and freeze. You could also make pesto with the basil - which makes a wonderful present. The chamomile should be spread on a clean screen to dry (put something underneath the screen to catch the seeds that will fall through). If your chives are blossoming right now, harvest the blossoms and make chive vinegar. Sterilize an empty mayo jar, fill with fresh picked chive blossoms and top up with white vinegar. Let steep until gift giving time, then strain the vinegar and rebottle into pretty bottles.

Bookmark   June 12, 2005 at 8:15PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gjmancini

why cant you dry basil and chives? I dried my chives and put them in a jar in July, they are not refrigerated. I keep them with the rest of my dried herbs in a cabinet. I use them all the time for cooking. Am I at risk of botulism?

Bookmark   January 4, 2006 at 10:29AM
More Discussions
warming herbs
How do herbalists today believe that warming herbs...
carrie-ann
Vermifuges
With global warming, many will be encountering parasites...
eibren
Headache after B12
I tried taking Vit B12 at the recommendation of my...
ghoghunter
Morgellon's syndrome
I have Morgellon's disease. I have seen the organisms...
cacye
7 Powerful Turmeric Health Benefits & Side Effects
http://draxe.com/turmeric-health-benefits/
jctsai8b
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™