Wild Herb Harvesting

rockguy(7a)June 27, 2011

What wild herbs are you harvesting now, in June? Please give approx location or zone or something. We are about done with Poke Salad, getting too big.

Most of the shade-growing perennial medicinals will be ready with the Gensing season, legally mandated to begin in August.

zone 6b. Tn just west of Nashville a ways.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
fatamorgana2121(Zone 5/6)

More northerly here in Western NY State. This is my time of the season to focus on the veggie garden and not herbs. But in another month when the veggie garden is on auto-pilot except for harvesting and weeding with the occasional watering, I'll begin to harvest herbs and start seed-saving. That will go through the fall.

Most of my wildcrafting is of non-native "weeds" or natives that have very secure and robust populations - which counts out too many of the "shade-growing perennial medicinals" here. Loss of habitat is a very huge concern. It's all turned into housing here. Even farmland is vanishing quickly. When speaking about wild herbs to people I encourage people to plant the native plants they wish to use, practice stewardship, and use more common plants in the herbal remedies. Sorry, I guess I can't share the cool and rare stuff I'm picking with you because I never do that. It's all stuff I've grown (native & not), mundane "weeds" like dandelion, or common wild plants like wild strawberry (leaf).

FataMorgana

Bookmark   June 27, 2011 at 9:32PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rockguy(7a)

The loss of habitat for wild things is bad here too, and sad. Luckily some of the wild herby plants thrive "on the verge" so they do well in disturbed areas, at the edge of fields and fence-rows etc. When I do go out hunting the wild plants, I never know what I'll find so have to have bags and twine and a knife and something to dig with, almost too much gear, lol. I allow any that come up in the yard to grow in place, adds to the clutter, but so what?

Bookmark   July 1, 2011 at 5:14PM
More Discussions
herbal medicine
Hello, I am just getting into indoor gardening. I f...
sunny57
Help... need your advice...
Hi, I know that there are a lot of knowledgable herbalists...
beth1
sassafrass poisonus??
A friend of mine has a woods by her house and there...
redring
bladder infection
My daugter has a bladder infection. I am giving her...
kfgesq
Headache after B12
I tried taking Vit B12 at the recommendation of my...
ghoghunter
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™