animal? eating branches?

johndoug(z6 Philly)March 29, 2014

i first noticed on my blueberry, but then noticed on holly and rose bushes. the strangest thing. clean cuts on branches 20 inches and below. i mean like a sharp knife cut through the branches. must be some animal that shears the branches off with their sharp teeth. i also saw some some abrasions on bark, that look like what antler rub would look like on a big tree, but these are pencil size branches.

at first, the only thing that came to mind was someone snuck in to my property with pruning shears and just had at it cutting off all my lateral branches from the stem. but that didn't make much sense.

the only other piece to the puzzle is one evening, and one evening only, it was maybe 5 oclock, a little overcast but plenty light out, a racoon came over to my house. i was standing there, and it kept walking close to the house, not scared at all of me.

my yard is fenced in, but there are spots between the grass and the fence were there is a good 12-iinches gap. deer can't get in, but other things can.

has anyone seen this before? the knifecut shearing of branches? thanks,

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Tony(Zone 5. Omaha, Nebraska)

JD,

Mr. Rabbit. If you look around under those bushes and you will find a bunch of small round of fecal materials. They broke my heart many times by slicing my newly grafts right in half and ate the whole scion with fresh leaves. I used fresh cut apple in a live trap to get them. Some of them are huge with a very sharp teeth.

Tony

Bookmark   March 29, 2014 at 11:50AM
galagala(5)

Johndoug, You haven't seen anything until I learn t send pics! Rabbits destroyed at least 60 trees (apple). I'am not sure they will recover. I have discovered that they like Honey Crisp 10 to 1.

Bookmark   March 30, 2014 at 8:36AM
jagchaser(5A NE, -15-115f may frost)

Rabbits no doubt. I cant control them with the boy shooting at them or the dogs. I gave up and wrap everything with a short piece of 18in wide chicken wire. If they aren't wrapped they will be girdled or chewed clean off within a week.

Bookmark   March 30, 2014 at 9:24PM
More Discussions
Restoring old and neglected apricot trees. Help!
We moved into a new home in the middle of last summer...
monibucky
Has anyone elses asian pear (20th century) come out of dormancy?
Everything else is going gangbusters but there isn't...
fireballsocal
First Bench Grafts Using a Fieldcraft Topgrafter
Hi all, I've been patiently waiting for signs of life...
gardener365
November Vole Damage
Voles have attacked my apple trees. A few of them are...
tedgrowsit
bees ignoring my plum blossoms
I stood and watched but never saw any bees on my Santa...
kittymoonbeam
Sponsored Products
Energy Saving Ribbon Branched Four-Light Mini Chandelier
$226.00 | Bellacor
Branch Out Pillow Cover in Gold
$57.99 | Dot & Bo
Animals Matter Katie Puff Chenille Pet Bed Dog Bed
$330.00 | FRONTGATE
Agilis 2-Tier Chandelier by Minka-Lavery
$519.90 | Lumens
Warm White Solar 8-Function Commercial LED Christmas Lights
EnvironmentalLights.com
Olive Branch Giclee Set of Four Shades 3x6x5 (Clip-On)
$49.99 | Lamps Plus
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™