Apple tree pollinators

Gracie67March 9, 2014

Hello, I'm new to this forum, and originally posted my question in the tree thread, before I was directed here.

I'm planning to plant three apple trees this spring - and have never planted a tree before in my life! I have already ordered a Golden Russet, and my other choices at the moment are Chestnut Crab and James Grieve. I know that the crab is a good pollinator - but I'm confused by the flowering categories. The russet is flowering group 2, and the grieve is flowering group 3. All I can find out about the crab is that it flowers early to mid may.

Can anyone let me know if these three trees are a good match?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Konrad___far_north(3..just outside of Edmonton)

I have Chestnut, most apples overlap flowering period,..you shouldn't worry, especially when you have neighbors up to a mile away.

Bookmark   March 9, 2014 at 2:15PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kyyada(6B-7A)

I am new to fruit also so I am going through this too. My understanding is the groups is just the time frame in which they bloom. A crabapple blooms for an extended period so they say they pollinate everything. Another good apple pollinator is Golden Delicious it is partiallly self pollinating. Some apple trees are triploids and require two other trees to pollinate. If you don't want a crabapple maybe try a 2 x 1 or 3 x 1 tree. So you can really mix it up.

Bookmark   March 9, 2014 at 3:34PM
More Discussions
Blueberries not thriving?
I planted young blueberries last spring in pots. They...
MK
Paw Paw in Monmouth County NJ
I'm interested in growing several fruit trees on my...
ritzandbigb1
3 of my callery pear cuttings now have leaves unfurling?
I took several callery pear tree cuttings on jan 10...
tlbean2004
Cherry tree damage from storm
Top third of cherry tree snapped off by falling limb...
jimfnc7
Is it just me or have my plum tree buds gotten bigger lately?
I have a bruce plum tree that i planted last september. It...
tlbean2004
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™