Pomegranate seedlings

fairfield8619(Zone 8 NW LA)March 12, 2013

I got some seeds from a guy in Turkey grew nice little seedlings. I planted them last year- how long will it be until they fruit? I've read maybe 5 yrs? I know they could end up duds but it will be interesting. They are leafing out nicely right now. About 12in tall.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
yukkuri_kame(Sunset 19 / USDA 9)

They'll take as long as they take, dependent on many variables. No sense trying to figure it out, assuming you've committed to growing to maturity from seed.

One way to get fruit sooner would be to graft mature budwood to the seedlings.

Or if you are really interested in discovering a new cultivar, graft some of the seedling budwood to a mature tree.

The fruit will be likely be less variable than something like an apple or a stone fruit that have been very extensively hybridized and grafted, so that's a plus.

Bookmark   March 12, 2013 at 3:29PM
fairfield8619(Zone 8 NW LA)

Boy what a snarky reply! Fruits typically have some sort juvenile period before bearing- I was looking for an approximation. FYI, I do know poms aren't usually grafted- too many suckers. Thanks for the attitude.

Bookmark   March 12, 2013 at 3:51PM
yukkuri_kame(Sunset 19 / USDA 9)

I'm sorry, I didn't mean to come across that way.

Bookmark   March 12, 2013 at 4:48PM
happyballz(9A/B Valrico,Florida)

lol I didn't see anything "snarky". You must be new to internet to interpret that as harsh. hah

yukkuri_kame really does make a point, I had mine in ground for 2+ years and still didn't get a single flower. Some people get fruit the following year after planting.
It just depends on way too many variables (weather, cultivar, soil, disease, insects, pruning etc.)

But generally I would say by year 3-4 you should get at least flowers if not fruit.

Bookmark   March 12, 2013 at 5:17PM
lucky_p

Ha! I had some pomegranates, started from cuttings of a neighbor's mature fruiting plant, that took 35 years to fruit - but...being an 8-yr old boy, when I planted them, I knew nothing of competition & juglone inhibition from the (then) young, but mature, black walnut tree, whose root zone they were well within.
Nearly 35 years later, when a new septic drain line was trenched between the poms and the BW - ultimately killing the BW - the poms began flowering and fruiting prolifically.
Was it inhibition by juglone, or just being shaded and outcompeted for soil nutrients by the larger BW? I don't know.

Bookmark   March 12, 2013 at 5:41PM
fairfield8619(Zone 8 NW LA)

Thanks yukkuri_kame, it just sounded a little flippant to me- probably the usual lack of visual/vocal cues. That's sometimes a problem online.

Bookmark   March 12, 2013 at 11:35PM
More Discussions
Suburban backyard "orchard" (Z6 SE NY)
Hello all. I have a new to me house and yard (Zone...
cottage_cheese_z6ny
Shaping and pruning some BYOC trees
In January I planted two peaches and two pears, intending...
brittanyw
Help understanding huckleberries
I recently enjoyed some huckleberry pie and was pleasantly...
pushindirt
Plum Tree Experts!!! Is this gonna turn into a fruit?
I have some buds on my plum tree that look like this. Do...
tlbean2004
Wisconsin honeyberry/haskap growers?
I'm combining the two as it seems with continued breeding...
wisconsitom
Sponsored Products
Jora Brown 18 x 18 Floral Throw Pillow
$57.95 | Bellacor
Belmont Mantel Swag
Grandin Road
Set of Two Mediterranean Mixer Packs
$38.95 | FRONTGATE
Take It for Granite Cleaner - Set of Two
$9.99 | zulily
Pomegranate Convertible Sofa
$598.99 | Dot & Bo