Vertical Forest in Milan,Italy

Bradybb(wa8)March 29, 2013

I saw this article today.It should be interesting to see if they can manage it for the long run.
Someone commented at the end of the article," imagine something like an apple falling off a branch from 60 stories up".
Maybe they'll forbear the fruit trees and could go with fruiting shrubs. Brady

Here is a link that might be useful: Vertical Forest Skyscrapers Coming to Milan

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
franktank232(z5 WI)

SPraying would be a pain... could u imagine plum curculio 50 stories up?> Japanese Beetles...only good tihng is if you can keep the bugs from laying eggs int eh soil, they shouldn't be a big problem.

Bookmark   March 29, 2013 at 12:16PM
Konrad___far_north(3..just outside of Edmonton)

Not bad, ..another way to clean the air.
Probably no fruit trees are allowed up there, berries yes.

Bookmark   March 29, 2013 at 12:35PM
larry_gene

Looks cool, will cause more problems than it's worth.

Bookmark   March 29, 2013 at 11:49PM
kittymoonbeam

I think the trees will get a squared off look eventually as they get sheared at the top where the next balcony starts. Around here, they trim the tops of ficus flat to stay out of the power lines. They could take the time to thin them and keep a pretty shape on top but it's faster and cheaper to shear them flat so that's how they look. Now what I think would be nice is horizontal connectors between the buildings with plants trailing down or used as a shade tunnel. I always liked the futuristic space station/ lunar colony drawings with the arboretum in the bubble. Who is going to re pot the trees in a few years? That would a challenge.

While we're all dreaming of the fantastic, here's a Gilbert Williams painting for the fun of it.

Bookmark   March 30, 2013 at 12:37AM
alan haigh

Franktank, I know you were kidding but I think it is actually much easier to grow fruit in the city because of the lack of pests. PC can't overwinter on asphalt.

The best Bing cherries I ever ate were from a terrace in NYC from a huge old tree growing in the dirt courtyard below. I know they never sprayed the thing.

Bookmark   March 30, 2013 at 7:00AM
flora_uk(SW UK 8/9)

AFAIK there is no PC in Europe, certainly none in UK. The Italians are past masters at container growing and tree training. I think they can do it - and there is no mention in the article that they are contemplating fruit trees, only trees and 'greenery'.

Bookmark   March 30, 2013 at 7:41AM
milehighgirl(CO USDA 5B/Sunset 2B)

What a mess if everyone has a different idea of what they want planted. This would have to be hands-off for the residents. It's a pain to wash window on sky-scrapers; imagine trimming trees! Look out below.

Bookmark   March 31, 2013 at 2:21AM
More Discussions
What type of grafting tape do you use?
Last year I used electric tape and got about 98% success...
Mike Hughes
Too new to know...is this root acceptable?
I'm new to Orcharding and to GardenWeb (what an incredible...
GuardinDawg
Broken citrus tree
Hello all. Last May, I planted satsuma and kumquat...
lsugolfredman
best tasting pomegranate
I recall an article in CRFG about a year ago about...
markintexas123
Need late flowering pears?
Seems all of my pears are early flowering which is...
Konrad..just outside of Edmoton Alberta
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™