Transplanting wild blueberries

m_lorne(5b)March 26, 2009

I was wondering if anyone had any ideas about transplanting blueberry bushes.

We have a cottage in central Ontario in the midst of the Canadian shield. Every year in July and early August, the area is inundated with wild blueberries, which are either eaten en masse by the black bears and the birds, or are picked by the locals and sold for upwards of $8.00/pint. Yes, extravagant, but there is a real market for these little drops of heaven. They are smallish for blueberries, but have great texture, colour and phenomenal taste. Also, they are pesticide free :-)

I was thinking of transplanting a dozen or so bushes to my garden area and trying to recreate the rocky, acidic, pine needle laden environment in which they grow.

Does anyone have any experience with transplanting blueberry bushes? Techniques, tips or warnings?

Thanks,

Michael

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ramble

Am no expert. Would guess you do exactly what you do for bought blueberries. Lots to learn there.

Bookmark   March 26, 2009 at 5:02PM
Konrad___far_north(3..just outside of Edmonton)

You can try with some plants and see.
It's hard to create the same environment, especially when planted far away from this area.

Konrad

Bookmark   March 26, 2009 at 9:56PM
macarius(Z6 CT)

You shouldn't have to take plants from the wild because hopefully a nearby nursery will sell you Vaccinium angustifolium (if that's the wild blueberry you refer to) in a pot. i've planted them in my acidic soil in a spot that has good drainage and full sun. No special soil amendments used although my soil is pretty rocky and acidic naturally. i think typical blueberry soil would work fine. Good luck.

Bookmark   March 27, 2009 at 5:29PM
hemnancy(z8 PNW)

I transplanted some huckleberries and they took OK, I live where blueberries do very well. Just try to get as much root as you can and don't let them dry out.

Bookmark   March 28, 2009 at 2:36AM
organic_mtnman

I transpalanted 3 wild blueberry bushes from my area in western NC into my garden along side some cultivars. I noticed that the wild blueberries produce many more flowers, so I will use the wild ones as pollinators. The 3 plants are doing quite well so far, and I have given them plenty of sunlight, so I expect them to do better still. You should have no problem with a transplant. With any transplant, you will have some that don't survive. Good Luck.

Bookmark   May 4, 2009 at 9:18AM
More Discussions
My First Grape Vine - Need Help!
I just purchased my very first grape vine (concord)....
lekennedy4
Zone 5 fruit and nut trees Northeast, Nebraska
Hello, I have an acreage near Allen, NE and I would...
cheeta64
Do i need to use wax for this kind of graft or just masking tape?
I am going to be doing 5 pear cleft grafts with 1/4...
tlbean2004
Asian pear spray in first year
Just planted a dwarf asian pear from Starks. Do I need...
ferroplasm Zone 7b
Grafting acocados
I am grafting an avocado tree. Is it alright to graft...
tim45z10
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™