please help a lost idiot

bizzarbazzar(3/4)June 23, 2006

Hi, I always make teas out of most of my herbs. I have read books on making tinctures and am lost. I would love to make some of my herbals as tinctures but do not have a fortune to put out. I have been on this site for awhile and just found THIS forum. Maybe someone can help Thanks so much for your time

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
herbman(norflk england)

Basicly to make a ticture you masacrate the herbs in alcohol. I don't know what alchols are cheap in your part of the world; but here I use gin or vodka, they being the cleanest spirits,( perhaps you may have one in your locality made from apples).Sometimes I make a digestive useing cheap sherry. Tinctures may also be made useing vinagar as the carrier. also glycerine; but I've no experiance of this. Hope this is of some help, drop me an email if you want to know anything else I'll try to answer. Yours Aub

Bookmark   June 24, 2006 at 7:15AM
Daisyduckworth(Aust)

Basic method for making a tincture:

Cover 200g dried or 300g fresh herb with vodka or rum in a bottle, seal the bottle and leave for about 2 weeks, shaking the bottle every 2 days or so. Put a piece of cloth inside a sieve and pour the liquid through, pressing down to extract as much of the liquid as possible. Discard the solid matter. Pour the tincture into dark bottles, seal and label. A tincture has a much stronger action than an infusion or a decoction. The usual dosage is 5ml 2-3 times a day diluted in 25ml water or fruit juice.

Bookmark   June 24, 2006 at 6:13PM
bizzarbazzar(3/4)

Thanks so much, both of you! I am going to try that. I figured its about time I learn :)Have a great day too

Bookmark   June 24, 2006 at 7:10PM
More Discussions
insect bites remedies
I have used a chickweed salve and most bites clear...
samtom_gw
geographic tongue
For everbody who suffers from geographic tongue, i...
rebeccaguimaraes
Herbal Remedies for High Blood Pressure
What Herb is grown for the treatment of high blood...
barb601
herbal medicine
Hello, I am just getting into indoor gardening. I f...
sunny57
poultice for infection
My boyfriend broke his leg 1 1/2 years ago. He had...
June_Ca
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™