Yellow Egg Euro Plum

thaprankstaMarch 21, 2014

Does anyone have experience with this plum? Does it have the same issues with rot as the other Euros in humid, hot areas?

Right now, I have a pair of J. plums and thinking of adding 1 euro that is capable of not producing a nightmare of rot and disease problems.

Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
alan haigh

Not one I grow but I wonder why you single out that one. My advice would be to run with the latest ripening variety that can be grown and ripened in your climate so that it might ripen after the worst humidity of summer. The fruit can take some frost as long as temps don't go too far down into the '20's. Their high sugar stops them from easily freezing.

European plums bloom after J's so at least the flower buds are more likely to survive a frosty spring.

Bookmark   March 23, 2014 at 11:03AM
thapranksta

Thanks for the reply. I asked about the yellow egg in particular because I don't see particular information about it on the forum. I have read, however, it could have some good disease resistance and it is good eaten fresh if left on the tree long enough.

Really what I am trying to do is decide if there is another stone fruit (for fresh eating) that I would like to add. Nectarines and euro plums have always seemed forbidden for backyard growers in the Southeast from what I have read because of rot issues. So if you have any specific recommendation with euro plum that would be great to try, I am all ears.

Bookmark   March 23, 2014 at 5:29PM
alan haigh

Wish I could help, but all my experience with E. plums is in SE NY. If you are willing to do a couple fungicide sprays with Monterey Fungus Fighter or maybe 3 with Captan in the weeks before ripening maybe rot wouldn't keep you from a harvest. You could try something like Empress.

Bookmark   March 23, 2014 at 8:47PM
farmerdill

I grew Yellow Egg in Virginia in the 70's and 80's. Yes it was very susceptible to brown rot. Cant' say much for the flavor, even when the brown rot is controlled with copper fungicides. I planted it because we had a delicious yellow freestone plum when I was a kid. Yellow Egg was definitely not it.

Bookmark   March 23, 2014 at 8:57PM
thapranksta

Thanks, I think I am going to avoid the Yellow Egg and look for a late ripening variety as suggested.

Bookmark   March 24, 2014 at 12:33AM
More Discussions
Broken citrus tree
Hello all. Last May, I planted satsuma and kumquat...
lsugolfredman
My First Grape Vine - Need Help!
I just purchased my very first grape vine (concord)....
lekennedy4
Foliar fertilizer on fruit
I have been using foliar fertilizers more and more...
crazyman2099
Is it just me or have my plum tree buds gotten bigger lately?
I have a bruce plum tree that i planted last september. It...
tlbean2004
Need late flowering pears?
Seems all of my pears are early flowering which is...
Konrad..just outside of Edmoton Alberta
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™