How do I prune my asian pear

rehabbingisgreenMarch 15, 2013

I'm not sure how to prune this tree and I am really afraid of messing it up, this is my favorite tree. It has been growing 1 to 2 feet a year since we got it in the ground. It has been planted now for about 3 years and did have a couple fruit last year.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dmtaylor(5a (WI))

Nice looking tree! Now ask 100 different people how to prune it and you'll get 100 different answers. Here's what I would do:

1) Remove any branches that are more than half the size of the main trunk, a.k.a., the central leader. If you don't, such vigorous branches will compete for dominance with the central leader and shade the rest of the tree too much, which will result in less fruit and/or inferior quality fruit.

2) Remove any damaged or diseased wood. I don't see any on the picture, but take a look and make sure.

3) If you would like to control the size of your tree, then lop off the top of the central leader and all branches as high as you can reach. This will help keep your fruit closer to the ground so you won't need ladders to grab it all.

4) Use spreaders, weights, or tie down all branches other than the central leader more towards horizontal. The closer your branches get to horizontal, the more sunlight they will get and the more fruit they will produce. Keep the branches down for a year or two until the bark grows enough to hold them down that way permanently.

And that is about it for the basics. There are 100 other things that you *could* do, but those are the basic things that you should consider to achieve a more productive tree.

Happy pruning!

Bookmark   March 15, 2013 at 3:41PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rehabbingisgreen

Thank you so very much! I braved it and got out there and got most of the pruning done. I cut a good bit of height off too and I was afraid to do that but I really am happy I did.

Bookmark   March 15, 2013 at 7:58PM
More Discussions
Lime and lemon tree Houston area?
Best lime and lemon tree for Houston area? What are...
johnfam
Can I prevent Fire Blight the way I prevent Peach Leaf Curl?
Okay, so it's pretty easy to prevent peach leaf curl....
frostygardener
Blueberry help!
What's going on with this blueberry bush? Is it going...
julia_scheidt
pls recommend
Experienced Fruit Tree Growers, I suspect that all...
thecityman, Zone 7a/6b near Nashville
Converting typhoon damaged hillside forest to blueberry plantation
Hello all We've recently obtained a small strip of...
theniceguy
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™