why aren't my potted persimmons breaking bud?

cousinfloydMarch 8, 2013

I have 19 potted native persimmons trees that I brought in the house on Feb 21, so just over 2 weeks ago, and they haven't shown any sign of starting to grow yet. I had expected that 2 weeks at room temperature would have gotten them going. (I want to graft onto them, and I was thinking if I could get them growing early, I could graft them and then still have some cool places for the grafts to callous over.) Could the steady warm temperatures be a bad thing? Am I just not being patient enough? What do you think?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
fruitnut Z7 4500ft SW TX

My guess is they just need more time. I can't see the steady warmth being any problem. They have evolved to be slow starting in spring because the new growth is so frost tender.

Bookmark   March 8, 2013 at 1:13PM
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5

in conifer grafting.. it has nothing to do with budding.. and in fact you want the buds to remain dormant ..

you tip the tree out of its container.. and look to see if you have active root growth .... fresh white tip growth ...

and that is the key to having an active vascular system.. to allow the callousing.. IF i am using the right terms ... [which i doubt.. lol]

by the time the buds become active.. they will be draining the plant of vital juices ...

is it so much different in fruit???

ken

Bookmark   March 8, 2013 at 6:35PM
swvirginiadave(z6 VA)

Mine take about 4 weeks (temp in the low sixties).

Bookmark   March 8, 2013 at 9:07PM
skyjs(z8 OR, USA)

Grafting is very different conifers to fruit. Different time, different techniques. Your answer could be very helpful to someone grafting conifers.
John S
PDX OR

Bookmark   March 9, 2013 at 2:29AM
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5

gotta learn one new thing a day..

thx for the answer Sky

ken

Bookmark   March 9, 2013 at 7:59AM
cousinfloyd

Thanks, everyone, for sharing your thoughts, and thanks, Dave, for the original idea.

Bookmark   March 9, 2013 at 12:57PM
cousinfloyd

I grafted my first three potted persimmons 3/15 and then another three yesterday. They've about all broken dormancy by now, but I'm letting them go a little longer to make sure the bark is slipping is well (assuming a little more time will help with that.) I've put most of them in an insulated unheated building that's probably been staying in the 40's lately. I've assumed that cooler temperatures like that without extremes would be ideal for the graft unions to heal, but would warmer temperatures actually be better? I could keep them in the house instead. Or I could put them in the back of a cold frame that probably gets up in the 80's during the day and stays at least above freezing at night. If you could control the temperature and humidity and whatever other conditions would affect a graft what would you choose for persimmons?

Bookmark   March 22, 2013 at 7:30PM
fruitnut Z7 4500ft SW TX

Persimmon are a warm weather crop. I'd put them in an area more like 70-80F to callus grafts rather than 40s. But this is just my general sense not actual experience with persimmon. To callus grapes and figs I go for about 80F. Persimmon should be similar I'd think.

Bookmark   March 22, 2013 at 7:52PM
More Discussions
stark bros apricot with pits that taste like almonds
Does anyone have experience with this apricot variety? http://www.starkbros.com/products/fruit-trees/apricot-trees/stark-sweetheart-apricot It...
Bushwhacker Blood
newly planted blueberries turning red
I planted 15 blueberries, 8 biloxi and 7 star. 10 of...
tugagardener
conflicting pawpaw spacing info
Last week I planted several dozen paw paw. I had read...
Bushwhacker Blood
what are signs that a cleft graft has failed and how soon to know?
Also, when grafting onto rootstock, how high up do...
tlbean2004
Carmine Jewel
So I've been fretting about my Early Richmond for a...
iowajer
Sponsored Products
White Ceramic Potted Herbs Set
$26.99 | zulily
Couristan Fresco Summer Daisy Indoor / Outdoor Area Rug - 20634000020040T
$59.00 | Hayneedle
Old World Ceramic Horse with Base
$99.00 | FRONTGATE
Stretch Plush Cream T-Cushion Chair Slipcover
Overstock.com
Safavieh Area Rug: Wyndham Dark Grey/Ivory 2.5' x 4'
$89.97 | Home Depot