Advice on pruning Bing cherry tree.

allenabqMarch 14, 2009

I'm looking for advice on how to prune this Bing cherry tree. I planted it last year, and was hoping for more scaffold branch choices. Didn't get many.

Right now, the tree hasn't reached bud break yet.

Any help appreciated. Photo link:

My Bing Cherry -- Needs pruning?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
fruitnut Z7 4500ft SW TX

Allen:

I'd say the primary thing your tree needs is more growth. If you cann't get more growth than you did last year, you won't need to prune. But given what you have, I'd probably cut back those two big laterals to force some branching down low.

What rootstock are you on? Are you sure it's getting enough water? Can see you don't have a weed problem.

The Fruitnut

Bookmark   March 14, 2009 at 1:55PM
allenabq

I believe it's "semi-dwarf". The nursery didn't specify what variety other than that.

When I planted it last year I headed the central trunk to force branching (going for an open center structure). I was hoping the two smaller branches toward the bottom would take off. What I got was the two largest branches you see getting ALL the new growth. And the one at the top starting from nothing.

Bookmark   March 14, 2009 at 2:41PM
geraldo_linux

"Remove the strong, leave the weak"

Bookmark   March 14, 2009 at 9:08PM
tim45z10

When it starts fruiting. Prune off the cherries and send me some.

Bookmark   March 15, 2009 at 5:45PM
theaceofspades(7 Long Island)

allenabq, those 2 large scaffolds, clip half off cutting above an out facing bud. You sacrifice a little wood to get the structure right. Encourage open vase growth. Pinch off any shots that grow toward the open center. Nip that twig next to the top scaffold.

Bookmark   March 15, 2009 at 9:16PM
ottawan_z5a

I have a few cherry and pear trees of the same size and for the last two years the rabbits have been prunning them for me and they are very bad prunners. They do this prunning when the ground is covered with a foot or more snow and nothing else to eat (other than cedar hedges which they don't eat). There is something in the fruit trees wood that attracts the rabbits for food. They leave their pooh as fertilizer for the tree as reward. I knew this may happen so I put burlap around one of the new bing cherry plant and I saw squirrel pulling down the burlap and cutting pieces from it, collecting it in the mounth and later taking to the nest for decoration to make it comfortable for the coming Ontario harsh winter. So, it is going to be the chicken wire next year which may allow me to do some prunning to my liking.

Bookmark   March 15, 2009 at 11:04PM
More Discussions
Is it just me or have my plum tree buds gotten bigger lately?
I have a bruce plum tree that i planted last september. It...
tlbean2004
can anyone know what kind of this tree is?
Recently I found a tree at my backyard got a lot of...
Athena Lu
Too new to know...is this root acceptable?
I'm new to Orcharding and to GardenWeb (what an incredible...
GuardinDawg
Foliar fertilizer on fruit
I have been using foliar fertilizers more and more...
crazyman2099
Loquat tree
My darn tree has stopped sending energy to the fruit....
tim45z10
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™