Please help!

OdeliahRaeDMarch 21, 2014

Hi! My name's Odeliah. My husband and I just bought a house last year that has an array of fruit trees. We've been watering and pruning them, and these two peach trees seemed to be coming along nicely, but then suddenly the little peaches shriveled up and the tips of the leaves of the tree turned brown. After googling "peaches shrivel on tree" we got a variety of answers including that we OVERwatered and some saying we UNDERwatered! So we're very confused and not really sure what we did wrong and how to remedy it. I can't figure out how to post more than one picture, so I guess we'll have to make do with one. It's a pic of a shriveled peach and some of the leaves. When we open the shriveled peaches, they have a gelatinous inside instead of a pit. I had a pic, but again, I can only see how to post one. Please, if you recognize what the problem might be, help us out! Thank you in advance to anyone who might take the time to answer!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Scott F Smith(6B/7A MD)

Odeliah, its hard to tell exactly whats going on from the picture of your apricot (the tree in the picture is an apricot not a peach). The tree looks to be very sick, it looks like a lot of branches did not leaf out at all; the fruits sound like they are dying from lack of nutrients. Usually this means the tree has a problem in the trunk or roots and is not going to last much longer. There are various causes of this depending on where you are located. You could have a borer infection at the base of the trunk, or you could have bacterial canker on the trunk of the tree. If you had more pictures of the leaves it could help. Just add a new followup for each picture.

Scott

Bookmark   March 22, 2014 at 12:24AM
milehighgirl(CO USDA 5B/Sunset 2B)

Have you fertilized with anything? What zone and part of the country are you in?

The only way to post more than one picture at a time is to use a URL link from a website that has the pictures. If you use something like PhotoBucket then you can post more than one. Otherwise it takes a separate post for each picture.

This post was edited by milehighgirl on Sat, Mar 22, 14 at 1:31

Bookmark   March 22, 2014 at 1:14AM
olpea(zone 6 KS)

As Scott and Milehigh point out, it's hard to tell what's going on without more info/pics.

As a general comment apricots are practically desert trees and need very little water. Unless your rainfall is practically nil, you don't need to water. If you were watering your tree regularly, that is probably what is killing/killed it.

Bookmark   March 22, 2014 at 9:49AM
alan haigh

Not only would more photo info be useful- so would location.

Bookmark   March 22, 2014 at 11:45AM
OdeliahRaeD

I live in Jacumba, zip code 91934. It's about as East and South as San Diego county goes. I have some more pics from Photobucket.

It's an apricot tree?? Man. We've been watering it every other day....that's probably the problem then. =/ I hope I didn't kill the tree.....

[URL=http://s1360.photobucket.com/user/odeliahraed/media/20140321_091232_zps20bfa08f.jpg.html][IMG]http://i1360.photobucket.com/albums/r647/odeliahraed/20140321_091232_zps20bfa08f.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

[URL=http://s1360.photobucket.com/user/odeliahraed/media/20140321_090734_zps4b168e69.jpg.html][IMG]http://i1360.photobucket.com/albums/r647/odeliahraed/20140321_090734_zps4b168e69.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

I'm not home right now, but I'll try to get some closer up pics of the leaves.

Thank you guys so much for all your insight. This is our first time dealing with trees and gardens and such. Obviously, we're not doing too great...didn't even know it was an apricot tree!

Bookmark   March 23, 2014 at 11:18AM
OdeliahRaeD

Ugh, the pictures didn't work. Not sure why. I'll try again.

Bookmark   March 23, 2014 at 11:21AM
More Discussions
Asian pear spray in first year
Just planted a dwarf asian pear from Starks. Do I need...
ferroplasm Zone 7b
Extreme Cold
Looks like I won't be seeing any peaches and plums...
Helen Zone 6 Ohio
Early-Spring and General Spray Questions for 4-yr old Maryland Orchard
Hi all, I planted the following fruit trees in Spring...
lindsgardeninmd
Zone 5 fruit and nut trees Northeast, Nebraska
Hello, I have an acreage near Allen, NE and I would...
cheeta64
Is San Diego just behind with the flowering??
Any San Diegans or southern Californians here? I see...
brownmola
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™