St. John's Wort

virginia_fern(z6)July 10, 2005

This is the first year I'm growing St. John's Wort, and would like to make a tincture. I fear though that I've waited a bit too long. Some of the flowers on each clump are past their peak and turning brown, though not all. Can I still make a tincture with them?

Also, the whole plant itself is getting rather leggy. Is it okay to trim it back several inches from the ground? Will it grow out and bloom again this summer?

Thanks for your help!

Fern

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Herbalynn(Oregon, 7-8)

First off, make positve ID on which St. John's Wort you have. If it is indeed Hypericum perforatum (small leaves, hold up to light, look for tiny black spots) it is not to late to tincutre the top 8-10". I have done it once, have enough to do it again this week and once more, then I will cut them back to about 2 foot tall and hope for a late flush of flower again. A few inches tall would probably be too severe of a trimming this time of year.
Hope this covers the questions, and enjoy! Lynn

Bookmark   July 10, 2005 at 11:01PM
virginia_fern(z6)

Thanks Lynn! Mine does have the tiny black spots, and this evening I cut off a bunch of it and am ready to make some tincture.

What all do you use the SJW tincture for?

Fern

Bookmark   July 11, 2005 at 11:07PM
Herbalynn(Oregon, 7-8)

Very cool. Glad you have the right variety, as it makes superb medicine!
I use tincture when I'm feeling "blue". A week or two of dosing, and i'm not feelin' so much like Eeyore.
The oil makes an excellent medicine to rub on sore backs. Specifiaclly used for sciatica neve pain, and heck, you ever known a gardener that didn't get a sore back? Also used to treat wounds & burns including sunburn. I include SJW oil in my gardeners hand salve.
Enjoy! Lynn

Here is a link that might be useful: Herbalgram on SJW

Bookmark   July 12, 2005 at 10:55AM
More Discussions
Herbal Remedies for High Blood Pressure
What Herb is grown for the treatment of high blood...
barb601
poultice for infection
My boyfriend broke his leg 1 1/2 years ago. He had...
June_Ca
insect bites remedies
I have used a chickweed salve and most bites clear...
samtom_gw
Headache after B12
I tried taking Vit B12 at the recommendation of my...
ghoghunter
bladder infection
My daugter has a bladder infection. I am giving her...
kfgesq
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™