indoor catnip/catmint?

darydienJuly 4, 2010

I've been trying to grow plants for my cats..I'm doing quite well with my organic oat grass and they love it...but I can't seem to get catnip to grow from seed. I also want to keep the plant inside, but I don't know if this is possible. (my apartment complex doesn't have a garden area, plus NM is very dry and temperatures get into the 100's (no shade available outside)

HELP?! My other indoor plants are doing well...no fungus or bugs.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
theherbalist

dary:

I'm not really a botanist, but if catnip grows like other members of the mint family, then you'll need a rather moist soil.

Charles
The Herbalist

Here is a link that might be useful: Herbology Science

Bookmark   July 4, 2010 at 11:39PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
fatamorgana2121(Zone 5/6)

Please check out the Herbs forum. It is the forum for growing herbs of all sorts and uses such as medicinal, culinary, dye, etc. Many of the posts are on culinary herbs because that is what people are asking about but topics on herbs of all sorts are welcome and many of the regulars grow/use medicinal as well as culinary herbs.

If you check out the forum you will find MANY posts about people trying to grow herbs indoors. As a rule, it is hard and does not work well. Most herbs do best grown outdoors.

As far as catnip, in my experience it likes full sun, doesn't require special soil in fact it grows in some of the terrible soil parts of my property (yes, it grows wild), and requires only average moisture levels.

FatMorgana

Here is a link that might be useful: Herbs forum

Bookmark   July 5, 2010 at 10:22AM
More Discussions
Help... need your advice...
Hi, I know that there are a lot of knowledgable herbalists...
beth1
bladder infection
My daugter has a bladder infection. I am giving her...
kfgesq
herbal medicine
Hello, I am just getting into indoor gardening. I f...
sunny57
7 Powerful Turmeric Health Benefits & Side Effects
http://draxe.com/turmeric-health-benefits/
JCTsai
Which herbs to avoid in case of high blood pressure?
Hello, I am looking for information on which herbs...
John89
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™