Plant that smells like mint

trip1684July 14, 2008

I bought a plant that i was told was mint well once it grew to a size i felt i could pick some leave i did and ate one unfortunately i was not the flavor i though it was going to be. i was wondering if some one would be able to identify what i have it does not have leaves i expected from a mint plant. Thought i might be crazy but i cant find any pictures of mint plants that have leaves like this has. I have pictures of the leaves.

Here is a link that might be useful:

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
oakleif(z6 AR)

trip1684, Because of the jagged edges on the leaf. the long narrow leaf and the fragrance of mint. I'd hazard a guess of costmary, which is not a mint but a member of the chrysanthemum family. The puritans kept one in their bibles as a book mark thus also known as bibleleaf. It is used as seasonings too. I'm not sure enough of your picture to positively identify it as costmary. Do you have a picture of the whole plant?

I use to grow it but lost it a couple years ago in a hard freeze.

Bookmark   July 14, 2008 at 11:45PM
oakleif(z6 AR)

Why was i the only one to answer trip1684. What would it have hurt to acknowledge the post?

Bookmark   August 2, 2008 at 6:56PM
clevermara

Maybe this site can help you to identify your "mint".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mentha

Bookmark   July 20, 2010 at 6:22PM
hoodat

It may actually be mint. Some of the mints you buy from nurseries (especially chains like Wal Mart or Home Depot)was grown from seed and it will not come true that way. Some have practically no flavor at all and others have an off flavor. To get the taste you want find some you like the taste of and take a cutting. It roots in no time in wet soil.

Bookmark   July 21, 2010 at 8:48AM
More Discussions
Help... need your advice...
Hi, I know that there are a lot of knowledgable herbalists...
beth1
Which herbs to avoid in case of high blood pressure?
Hello, I am looking for information on which herbs...
John89
thyroid problems
I'd like to know if some of you with thyroid problems...
Peter.1210
7 Powerful Turmeric Health Benefits & Side Effects
http://draxe.com/turmeric-health-benefits/
JCTsai
Toasted my rose petals, that OK?
Hi all, I'm trying to infuse rose petals into coconut...
emilylyons22
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™