Navaho Blackberries in SoCal

plant_friendMarch 4, 2014

I made a mistake and purchased a Navaho plant from Berries Unlimited. I live in Southern California, I didn't have time to research and assumed, wrongly, that blackberries have no chill requirements. I was planning to install on an east wall, and I live a bit up the hill so I can get away with planting outside my zone, which is like 11. I read now that Navaho has an 800 hour chill requirement :( Is there any point to installing this plant or should I just throw it away? My real estate in the small yard is valuable. Anyone in hot regions successfully grow Navaho? Anyone have an outstanding Blackberry for inland SoCal (Altadena)? Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
c5tiger

It did fine for me last year at under 600 hours. I would keep it you will know in exactly one year if it will work. Its the best erect thornless blackberry I have.

Bookmark   March 4, 2014 at 6:39PM
waiting_gw

Look into a product called "Dormex". If you decide not to keep it don't throw it away, give it to a friend in an area with more chill hours.

I don't know how they taste, but Choctaw only needs about 300 hours; Kiowa only about 200 hours.

Bookmark   March 4, 2014 at 8:57PM
jtburton

Perhaps the more important question is whether you want to wait 16-17 months (fruits on 2nd year canes) to find out if you are right. If you are wrong, you'll wait another 16-17 months after choosing a variety that is better suited to your environment. If I were in your situation, I'd just chalk the $30 Berries Unlimited purchase up as a learning experience and purchase a low-chill variety.

Bookmark   March 4, 2014 at 9:23PM
melikeeatplants

Fruits for me in San Jose, which is 400-500 hours chill

Bookmark   March 4, 2014 at 10:57PM
waiting_gw

$30? Is that for a 5 gallon plant?

Fruitnut does quite well growing brambles in pots. Maybe you have room to try several different ones in pots?

He keeps the canes wrapped in a circle so the whole thing is rather compact.

Finally - Boysenberry. I don't know what the chill requirements are but there used to be thousands of acres of them in SoCal. And they survive my San Joaquin Valley summer heat (90s to 100+)

Bookmark   March 5, 2014 at 10:47PM
More Discussions
Asian pear spray in first year
Just planted a dwarf asian pear from Starks. Do I need...
ferroplasm Zone 7b
Blackberries in the age of SWD
It seems that spotted wing Drosophila is making blackberry...
marc5
Extreme Cold
Looks like I won't be seeing any peaches and plums...
Helen Zone 6 Ohio
Need help choosing dwarf fruit trees.
These trees will be planted at my own Indianapolis...
URES
Bareroot pruning of a multi-branched nectarine?
Just picked up a bareroot Snow Queen and it has several...
brownmola
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™